AnsweredAssumed Answered

Oversized Database

Question asked by j.wegner on Jan 4, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 14, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Oversized Database

Hi,

I work for a company that uses a FileMaker database to store all of their job information.  We have been using the system since 2007, and have about 26,000 jobs in our database.  In certain parts of the database this large number of records has brought our system to a crawl.

I have searched over the interent for ways to speed up a filemaker server, and none of them seem to be making a significant change.  I'm afraid the solution may be that I need to remove old jobs and place them in a backup file.

My issue is: I would like to have a button on the layout that runs a script to change the layout from showing fields from the main database's table to showing fields from the backup database's table. Is there a way to do this without creating a duplicate layout for the backup?

Just a little information about how the system is set up : 

I am using FileMaker Pro 10, on Windows XP, and the databases are stored on a FileMaker Server 9.

All of our layouts and scripts are stored in one file, and then the data is stored in a seperate file.  The data file is broken into about 5 different tables (The 26,000 records is just one of the tables), for different types of jobs. I am unsure if I should create a seperate backup file, or just create a different table within the data file for backups.

Let me know if you can think of a way to do this, or if you have any great ideas on how to speed up my system.

Thank you so much,

Joe Wegner

Outcomes