1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 8:53 AM by philmodjunk

Page Layout Compatability Issues

RGoyette

Title

Page Layout Compatability Issues

This is a nagging problem I have not been able to resolve.  I have Mac and PC users, all of whom are required to submit a form, either paper or digitally via a pdf file, for approval.  I have formatted the form to look correct as a pdf form in windows.  The problem is that if they choose a printer instead of saving a PDF first and then printing  the form runs off the page. If they are on a mac the form runs off the page even when they save as a pdf first.  I have not been able to create a page layout that prints correctly for all devices.  Has anyone else experienced this compatability issue and come up with a solution?  Is it possible to have one layout that printes well to any device?

• 1. Re: Page Layout Compatability Issues
          philmodjunk

Generally, if you specify minimum fixed margins in layout setup... so that you define a printable area smaller than the smallest print area any printer uses (1/2" margins or larger work well for almost any printer), you can get page break indicators in layout mode that you can use in designing/adjusting your layout to get predictable output. It's also usually simpler to design layouts as you do on Windows then preview/print them on Mac to check for any additional adjustments than the reverse as windows systems require a little more vertical and horizontal space to display the same text.

If that doesn't work, perhaps because you have a layout that just pushes the limits of available space no matter what you do, you may have to devise a Mac Layout and a Windows layout and use a script that detects the platform in order to select the correct layout for printing or PDFing your report.