2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2014 2:34 PM by MarkCampbell

Page number stuck at 1 on multi-page report

MarkCampbell

Title

Page number stuck at 1 on multi-page report

Problem: In a multi-page report the page number always stays at "1"

Desired Result: I would like the page number to increment on each page in the report for a record and start over on the next record.

Background: I have a database with companies as records, each with say 100 fields some of which may or may not be present and each with a variable length. I created a report that shows all the fields for a company, sliding all the fields up as blanks are encountered. In Layout mode I have a header, a footer and a body that extends over 5 pages (as indicated by the dotted page break lines). In the footer I have inserted the page number symbol.

Behavior: The sliding feature seems to work but when I go to preview mode or generate a PDF the page number in the footer is "1" on all the pages.

What I've Tried: I have moved the page symbol to the header - no luck. I have turned of sliding - no luck. I have tried to additional body parts to force pagination - no luck. I have switch from landscape to portrait page layout - no luck.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Page number stuck at 1 on multi-page report
          philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using?

I'd like to use the same version to try and reproduce what you are reporting.

What you could try is creating a new, simplified copy of this layout without copy/pasting any layout objects from the current layout and see if the page number symbol works on it. That would help verify whether this is a Filemaker Bug to be reported in Report and Issue or a problem with your original layout--the layout itself could be damaged.

• 2. Re: Page number stuck at 1 on multi-page report
            MarkCampbell

I am using FilemakerPro 13.

I think you pointed me to something that fixed it. When I created the layout I selected Computer and then Form instead of Print > Report since I did not want the data in tabular form. I wanted it more like a report document with sections and paragraphs.

I just created a new layout using Print > Report and then added a Header and a footer manually. I cut about four pages of fields and labels from my previous layout and now voila the page numbers are working. So I am not sure if it is because the original was corrupted somehow - but I think its because by selecting a Computer based layout the system keeps the page number as 1 since it assumes that you are looking at this on a screen and just scrolling down through the pages (even though they have footers). 

THANKS!!! I'll keep playing and re-post if I hit any other errors.