7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2015 9:45 AM by philmodjunk

Parent - child portal bug - help

GabiMatias

Title

Parent - child portal bug - help

I've got a parent table, and 2 child tables, all relationships, layouts, and portals in order as they should be. I have it set up so that when I enter new records into a portal I have set up in the Parent layout, it creates a record in the corresponding child table.

The only issue, is when I create the new record via the portal, though it successfully creates the new record in the child table, the company name doesn't appear in the record unless you type into that record in the child table, once you click into the record there, the name pops up but ONLY if you type into that record in the child table. It's really weird. My 2 child tables are linked to the parent via serial numbers and the company field it copied from the parent table, so I am not sure why it only shows the parent name after manipulating the record in the child table

• 1. Re: Parent - child portal bug - help
          philmodjunk

Where on your layout is this company name field? Inside the portal row or outside the portal?

From what table occurrence was it selected when you added it to your layout?

If you are on the Company layout (Parent table), why do you need the company name to pop up at all? Isn't it already on your layout outside of the portal?

• 2. Re: Parent - child portal bug - help
            GabiMatias

It isn't in the portal; the company name field is on the 2 child layouts, from the parent "customers" table occurrence. I am on the sample and sales layouts (the 2 child tables), which is where the delay is happening. On the 2 child tables, the samples and sales are visually  organized best in list view, so when the company name doesn't appear like it should, it interrupts the flow of data so to speak. 

• 3. Re: Parent - child portal bug - help
              philmodjunk

That is really weird.

Can you describe what you mean by "type into that child table"? I assumed that you were typing into fields of the "add row" of the portal which is not the case here.

What do you see in the other fields at the time that the company name field is not showing? Do they show data or are they blank?

What happens if you just click a blank area of the layout instead of typing into a field?

Enter layout mode and select the company name field. Exactly what text is shown in the "Display Data From" box on the Inspector's data tab?

• 4. Re: Parent - child portal bug - help
                GabiMatias

By that I mean after i enter the new info into lets say the samples portal on the customers layout, and then I go to the samples layout, all the data, including serial number, it all there but the company name remains blank.

By "type into that child table" i mean that if I click into any field in any record on the samples table, and type a character or a space or anything like that, only then does the company name appear in the newly added record. If i click inside a field, and click out, it doesn't make the company name appear.

In the inspector tab for the company field name in layout mode for both sales and samples child tables, it says display data from Customers::Company

• 5. Re: Parent - child portal bug - help
                  philmodjunk

What happens if you just click a blank area of the layout instead of typing into a field?

• 6. Re: Parent - child portal bug - help
                    GabiMatias

When you click outside, nothing changes.

• 7. Re: Parent - child portal bug - help
                      philmodjunk

Something isn't set up correctly, but I cannot tell from here what it is. If you want, upload a copy of your file (save a clone to get a copy to upload with no data in it.) to a file sharing site such as Drop Box and then post the down load link to it here. I'll take a quick look and see if I can spot why this is happening.