AnsweredAssumed Answered

Parent Context Layout Issue

Question asked by ChristopherWaian on Apr 2, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 5, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Parent Context Layout Issue

Updated See Second Post

Hello All,

I have looked and have been unable to find documentation on my issue; possibly because I am not asking the right question. Can some one people point me to the correct method or research material to implement this correctly (or is this just a limitation I am hitting?). I have attached a picture of my database relationship graph, partly censored for privacy.

Everything is fine an dandy up-until I hit Purchase Orders, I have no problem in the child context to pull data from the parent. Most of my data entry is via drop down "cascading" menus which I would like to reproduce but from a parent context.

I need a way to select multiple Requisition# as separate line items for purchase orders carrying with it all the p/n and job# data along with it (ie. quantity) and item data (ie. units) this is a very early build and the structure may change but I am trying to get the base system functioning.

I found a work around by selecting preexisting PO# and tying them to Requisition# from the Requisition context but that means I have to create the PO# first, and I am more worried about the information not carried along  down to the Receiving and RMA tables. Having a parent in the chain seems to break the relationship flow. I could make PO# a child of Requ# but that would limit 1 item per PO which is not realistic for us. Every way I look at it, I don't see a way of escaping the issue.

Context: Keep in mind this is more of a MRP (material requirements planning) system and not a method of accepting customer order; also Job# is a bit similar to a "lot" or "batch".

Any help is very much appreciated!! Thanks!

relationships.png

Outcomes