AnsweredAssumed Answered

Parent/Child Relationship in Imported Data

Question asked by MrsEaves on Jul 9, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 by MrsEaves

Title

Parent/Child Relationship in Imported Data

I am creating a database of products and features available by season. Each product in a given season has many features. Each product only appears once in a season but may appear in multiple seasons. Each product has a unique 4-digit identifier code that may be used in several seasons. Example:

Spring 2015
     product ABCD
     feature 1, feature 2, feature 3
     product EFGH

Fall 2015
     product ABCD
     product JKLM

I will be importing data from two separate sources: one to create my Products table and one to create my Features table. Each Product and each Feature will include the four-digit identifier along with the a code for the season. Every season I will be adding to the database with additional imports.

A simple way to set up my relationships is to match the product code + season code in the Products table to the same product code + season code in records in the Features table. I have that functionality working, but sometimes the product code for a product will need to change which, of course, creates a bit of a mess as the product is no longer related to its features.

I'd like to have a unique identifier to relate the parent and child records so the changing of the product code does not create problems but I can't figure out how to do. If I import the data for my Products table using an auto-entered serial number as ProductID, how do I match the correct related features to that key field when I import my features?

Thanks

Outcomes