Title

Parsing

I am parsing a record and this is the last part i need to get rid of:

"Total"

How do I get the  

"

and the

Out of the record?

I tried Substitute """ for "" that did not work...

I tried trim"" but that got rid of the " and what is in-between it... "total"

• 1. Re: Parsing
          philmodjunk

You appear to have smart quotes while your substitute attempts to remove straight quotes--which are different characters.

Try this substitute function call:

Substitute ( yourtexthere ; [Char ( 8220 ) ; "" ] ; [Char ( 8221 ) ; "" ) ] ; ["," ; "" ] )

• 2. Re: Parsing
            Kirk_1

That fixed the comma, but not the parenthesis.

I'm on Windows 8, i googled it and see how to change from straight to smart with in programs. How do i do it FM?

• 3. Re: Parsing
              Kirk_1

I copied them from the txt... to put into the formula...

• 4. Re: Parsing
                philmodjunk

There are no parenthesis shown in your text example, only quotation marks.

There's a setting in preferences for enabling smart quotes. You can edit Preferences from the Edit menu if you are on Windows. I forget where they put it on Mac systems.

You can put straight quotes into an expression such as for substitute like this:

"\""

The backslash "escapes" the quote character immediately after it so that it is treated as a character and not the end of your quoted text.

• 5. Re: Parsing
                  Kirk_1

That worked, last thing...

in some of the records the value is

Total

I need to remove the space in front of the 113.66.

I tried

Trim (GetValue (TempEdi::TempEdi;2))

That function removes the word Total and moves the 113.66 to the left.

Any suggestions?

• 6. Re: Parsing
                    philmodjunk

Don't know if that leading text is a string of spaces, a tab or some more esoteric nonvisible character(s).

You might try the TrimAll function as a way to reduce the spaces between text to a single space character.

Or you can use [" " ; "" ] to remove any spaces found in the text. But this might not be text. You might need to use Char with the code  for a tab if this is a leading tab character.