AnsweredAssumed Answered

Parsing 80 fields for EDI output

Question asked by yomango on Jun 4, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 by yomango

Title

Parsing 80 fields for EDI output

Hello to everyone. I am trying to parse out a 80 field record. There are only 8 repeating fields with 22 repetitions each. My problem is that I do not know how to go about parsing the repeating fields. I know how to obtaint the  information from any place within the repeating field, but I do not know how to go about placing it out on the layout. Each repeating info within the field is set on a parsing line and accompained by two more lines for each ocurrence. Here's a sample of the first three repetitions:

LX*1~
                    SV2*0300*HC:81000*120*UN*1~
                    DTP*472*D8*20100730~
                    LX*2~
                    SV2*0320*HC:76092*50*UN*1~
                    DTP*472*D8*20100730~
                    LX*3~
                    SV2*0270*HC:J1120*30*UN*1~
                    DTP*472*D8*20100730~

As you can notice, LX*1~, SV*, and DTP* form the first cluster. DTP line is taken from a field different to the SV* repating field but always goes below each Lx*~ SV* ocurrence. 

I thought of parsing the entire record on one text field, but I I am not sure if that will work since the output will be in one line and it needs to be separated into many parsed lines.

The wya I am parsing now , I created a new table with as many text records as the parsing document has. Then through a script I am parsing the information and setting it in each corresponding field. Every thing works fine until I reach the 22 repeating fields for the SV* line; since I have only one text field to parse to,  I do not know how to go about when I have more than one line of information so it shows similar to the image I apsted above.

any guidance will be truly appreciated. I hope I'm not getting into a mess.

Outcomes