4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 9:56 AM by ChristineSmeath

Part Print A Report

ChristineSmeath

Title

Part Print A Report

Hello

I am looking for some help with setting up an electronic case note system.  We have FileMaker Pro 8.5 that we use for a database.  I have all my client information in this database but need to print on going client contact case notes each time I meet with an individual.  Sometimes these case notes are just a few lines and other times they can be a page. 

I need to be able to print out this information as I go with each case note following on the page where the previous case note left off.  I did have a macro created for word that allowed me to do this successfully for the first page of the document but once the document became a two page document it failed to work.

I am not able to link these documents to FileMaker as I get an Object Linking and Embedding error when I try to do this.  Each individuals case note information is a separate word document that is not linked to the database.  The client has a unique identifier and the individual word documents are saved with that file name.

Any help that anyone can give me would be great.  I am also open to suggestions on how best to make this work.  I would rather not have to create a case note layout in the database if I can avoid that but if that is what it takes then I guess that is what I will need to do.

Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: Part Print A Report
          philmodjunk

Why do you use Word to create the case note documents in the first place? What problem does that solve for you?

Setting up a case note layout with text fields for your case notes would seem a much simpler approach so we need to know why you haven't set it up that way in the first place.

• 2. Re: Part Print A Report
            ChristineSmeath

We use Word to create the case notes as someone (I'm not sure who) was told that it was the only way we could set up the part print of a case note file.  If you have another solution that would come directly from FileMaker then I would be happy to look at that option.  I guess we could create a case note section on our tracking sheet and have that move into a layout but we need to print using the same sheet of paper until that page is full.  I guess that's the reason behind using Word as a macro was written to enable the part print. 

I am open to any suggestions that you have for making this work!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer :-)

• 3. Re: Part Print A Report
              philmodjunk

Define a related table of case notes. With at least the CaseID (to link to existing Case table) and CaseNote ( To record a specific note on a case). You can also include other fields to record the date, time and who created the note if needed.

To enter a new case note, you create a new record in this table and type the note into this field. There are a number of ways to make it easy to link that note to the current record in your Case table.

To print the Case Notes, you print from a layout where you have the CaseNote field placed in the body of the layout sized to the maximum height to fit on one page. (You did say notes were "up to one page" in size...) Use the sliding and visibility section of the Inspector's position tab to set this field to "slide up" and "resize enclosing part". In preview mode, when you save as PDF or when you print, the fields will automatically shrink down to the minimum size needed to show the data inside them and as many notes as possible will fit on the same page. There's a setting you can select that controls whether a given note can split over two pages or not.

Data from fields in the Case table can also be included on this layout and you can use Perform Find and Go TO Related Record to pull up the specific CaseNotes  that you need to print.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
              2. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
              3. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
              4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
              5. Container fields will slide only if Top, Left alignment is specified for it in the data formatting section of the Inspector's data tab.
              6. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
              • 4. Re: Part Print A Report
                ChristineSmeath

Thanks.  I will try that.  I will be back in the office on Monday and will work on it then as I dont have a copy of the database here at home.

I'll keep you posted as to how I get on.