6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2011 7:16 AM by BatuhanGizer

Part Setup Question

BatuhanGizer

Title

Part Setup Question

Hi,

I am trying to set up a new database for payment plan which then I will set up a relationship between a general database with a portal. But for the moment, I am trying to set up a system where there will be an ID (for the inventory part that we are selling) and PIN (for the clientele).  What I did for now is;

ID: 101

PIN: 11001

Price: 1000 $

Date               Explanation               Invoice Number        Amount    

1/1/11        January Payment               1                        100

But what I couldn't figure out is, for the same ID and PIN, there can be 15 or 20 payments.  In the example above, there must be 10 payments in order to reach 1000 $ with every payment being 100 $. So what I am trying to have is something like;

ID: 101

PIN: 11001

Price: 1000 $

Date               Explanation               Invoice Number        Amount    

1/1/11           Payment                       1                        100

2/1/11           Payment                       2                        100

3/1/11           Payment                       3                        100

4/1/11           Payment                       4                        100

5/1/11           Payment                       5                        100

Thanks in advance!!

• 1. Re: Part Setup Question
          Jade

Hi Batuhan,

Try this type of setup for your Table Occurrences and Relationships to see if it meets your needs:

The Client_Part table is a join table that holds one record for each combination of Clientele and Inventory Part sold. It provides a way to handle a many-to-many relationship between your clients and parts.  The Payments can then be associated to each combination of Clientele and Inventory Part allowing for multiple payments of varying amounts.  Base your layout on Client_Part with a portal to Payments.

• 2. Re: Part Setup Question
            BatuhanGizer

Hey Jade,

I was kind of confused with what you wrote so I am attaching the basic phase of my database.  The problem is, I want to see all the payments under the specific Inventory_ID as a list just like a portal, but in my case they are all seen as different records even though the Inventory_ID is the same. (I chose unique value under validation but to show you my point, I cancelled). 

In the next step, if I can show different payments under the unique Inventory_ID, I will use this on another database as a portal which summarizes the whole project.

Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: Part Setup Question
              Jade

Batuhan,

I can not see any attachment in your last post.

Does your Inventory_ID (that I called Part_ID) identify one specific and unique part or does it identify several parts that have identical specifications?  If it is the later, then you will probably need a join table as I illustrated because, in this case, one client can buy many different parts and one part can be sold to many different clients. 

You may still be able to list all Payment records for a given Inventory_ID since they are related through the Client_Part Table.

• 4. Re: Part Setup Question
                Jade

Batuhan sent me the current file so that other Forum Members could comment on it:

PaymentPlan layout mode

PaymentPlan Browse mode

PaymentPlan Relationships

• 5. Re: Part Setup Question
                  Jade

Batuhan,

I returned your file with an extra layout #2 for a simple report.  Is this along the lines that you want?

Simple Report

• 6. Re: Part Setup Question
                    BatuhanGizer

i got it! Thanks!