6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 6:20 AM by yuichim

Pass security privilege among files?

yuichim

Title

Pass security privilege among files?

Hi all.

I am in a process of developing a multi file solution and was wondering how I can access the account privilege on another file. 

Basically I do have a file "A" that contains all the tables and data and file "B" that contains all the layout.

The security privilege for the "users" are in file "A" but the users will be using file "B" to access the data.

Is there a way to use the user credential on file "B" ?

I appreciate for any help..

• 1. Re: Pass security privilege among files?
          philmodjunk

If you define identical account names and passwords in both files, actions that open File B will open that file with the same account name and password as File A. (There are a few exceptions, manually opening the file by selecting Open from the File menu and scripted Import records steps will still trigger a request for a password.)

• 2. Re: Pass security privilege among files?
            yuichim

Hi PhilModJunk,

Thanks for your fast reply.  I do get that if you have identical account names and password on both files, then it will work, but is there a way to do it without having to duplicate the information? 

For example by scripting?  I've been thinking but don't seem to come out with any solution....

• 3. Re: Pass security privilege among files?
              philmodjunk

What information do you want to duplicate?

The access privilege settings? That can't be scripted, but you can script a process of updating passwords and adding new accounts (to link to existing privilege sets) in the other files so that you don't have to run around and manually change things in each file everytime you need to either add or change a password.

You might also want to investigate setting up external server authentication on your server.

• 4. Re: Pass security privilege among files?
                yuichim

What I meant by "duplicate information" is the account name and privilege.

Now we use Windows AD network here but would you recommend writing a script to add/copy account and privilege information to all fiels or using an external server (ex: Windows Server) to authenticate?

I started looking into the external server solution but the challenge is we have a mix of mac and windows... but the good thing is that I don't have to restrict usage on the mac users since they are all managers and need full access.

• 5. Re: Pass security privilege among files?
                  philmodjunk

I've just started learing more about external authentication myself. It looks like a very useful options for multifile hosted solutions provided you can stay on very good terms with any IT person that's responsible for maintaining this on the Domain for your server. (You don't want such a person changing settings for groups you need for FileMaker without checking with you first.)

You can't copy the details of a privilege set from one file to another. The settings are too specific to each file, but once you have defined each needed privilege set in each file, you can design your system so that you can enter an account name, password and privilege set name in some text fields and then a "control script" in your main file can call scripts in each secondary file, passing this info in a script parameter. Each of these sub scripts would then create the needed account name, password and privilege set in a secondary file.

• 6. Re: Pass security privilege among files?
                    yuichim

It is very interesting.  I am definitely going to take a look at creating a control script. 

Thanks for your advice!