10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 2:44 PM by BillAlden

PASSWORD

QueryJoel

Title

PASSWORD

How do i retrieve password if i've forgotten it?  I still can access it currently as the file open is automatic and the password is in place.  However, I can't change the password.

• 1. Re: PASSWORD
          ninja

Howdy QueryJoel,

You pretty well can't retrieve it.  What you CAN do is have a person with "Full Access" replace your password to something that you DO know.

From your brief description, it doesn't look like you autologin using a FullAccess account.  Does anyone at your site have full access?

• 2. Re: PASSWORD
            QueryJoel
               I do have full access... the file is logged in using an Account Name and Password that are saved... however, i can't recall what the password is... thanks Ninja
            • 3. Re: PASSWORD
              comment_1
                 If you have full access, then you can change your password (under Accounts & Privileges) and - while you remember your new password - go into File > File Options… and set the file to try and log in automatically using your new password.
              • 4. Re: PASSWORD
                QueryJoel
                   The option to change the password is available but the old (current) password is needed... I can't remember it.  Now trying to recall all the possible ones.  I can still access the file because it is stored in the File Options login password.  Of course, its only in ••••••••••••••• format (20 characters)  ... i'm sure my password is less than 20 characters, of which I find it weird that it has 20.
                • 5. Re: PASSWORD
                  comment_1

QueryJoel wrote:
                  the old (current) password is needed.

Not if you do this in Accounts & Privileges.

• 6. Re: PASSWORD
                    QueryJoel
                       Thank you!
                    • 7. Re: PASSWORD
                      mrvodka
                         As the other have already said, if you have [Full Access] privs then you can change your password. You dont need the old password. Just use the new one. When you go to exit the accounts, it will ask you for the full access user/password. Just use your new one. Or just create another account with [Full Access] privs.
                      • 8. Re: PASSWORD
                        mrvodka
                           Sorry... a little late in the reply. Looks like comment has gotten you squared away.
                        • 9. Re: PASSWORD
                          comment_1
                             I feel obligated to add this:

Setting a file to open automatically using a full access account is rather counter-productive. What's the point of having a password, when the entire solution is freely accessible to anyone who can double-click?

Automatic login should be used when you want users to be able to use your solution like a regular application (i.e. the data itself is not being protected). But they should be doing so using a "users" account, with no ability to modify the solution itself. 

• 10. Re: PASSWORD
                            BillAlden

I just added a password to my file and it won't accept it and now I cannot get into my file.  What can I do about This?