3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2010 1:16 PM by fitch

Password Hole?

heziki

Title

Password Hole?

So I took over this really old FileMaker 7 (possibly from FileMaker 5) database. I'm currently on FileMaker 11 Advanced. Nobody in the office knew the password but luckily it was saved as an auto login. I could get into the database but I could add accounts or change existing accounts. I racked my brain and searched the net. I always try to go the cheap way so buying something was not my plan. I looked at countless solutions that seemed so tedious.

This is what I did... so easy... I added a new account with full permissions. Then when I went to save the settings and of course it asked for my username and password. I simply entered the username and password I just created and whammo!

Anyways, I thought I'd pass this on in case it was a bug or something.

• 1. Re: Password Hole?
          philmodjunk

Was this file open with filemaker 7 or filemaker 11? In either case, it sounds like both the auto-entered password and your account are Full access.

• 2. Re: Password Hole?
            heziki

Why does it ask me for an administrator username/password if I can just create one and use that? It would seem that if I'm already logged in as administrator and I create another account then I shouldn't have to reenter that information if I can just fabricate it.

Anyways, if you lose your password, but still have an auto login, and are unable to make any changes, just create a new admin user and use that information to wax all the forgotten passwords.

• 3. Re: Password Hole?
              fitch

I used to wonder/be annoyed about too, but here's why it asks for your admin password after you make changes:

If you changed the name and/or password of your full access account, suppose you made a typo. The confirmation dialog when you close the Manage Security dialog is to ensure that you didn't just lock yourself out of the file.

PS: in your OP I think you meant "I could get into the database but I could not add accounts..."