3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 1:57 PM by TSBear

Password issue after upgrade server 5.5 to Pro 11

BillClark

Title

Password issue after upgrade server 5.5 to Pro 11

We recently upgraded from server 5.5 to Pro 11.  Now one of the converted files can not be openned with the old password. The non password files open fine after converting.

However, the file in question will open for viewing data as a guest but we cannot change anything and we tried we get a "Your access privileges do not allow you to preform this action"

• 1. Re: Password issue after upgrade server 5.5 to Pro 11
          TammyArmentrout

I recently converted to new version of filemaker and now it won't accept my old password. How do I open my files now?

• 2. Re: Password issue after upgrade server 5.5 to Pro 11
            philmodjunk

Two issues to check out:

1. 5.5 files did not have accounts and passwords, only passwords. When converted, the new files have account names and passwords using the original passwords for both. You can open these files by entering the original password in both the account name and password boxes in the log in dialog. After you get the files open, you can change the account names so that you don't expose the password everytime you log in.
            2. 5.5 passwords are not case sensitive. Filemaker 11 passwords are. If you can't get the converted file to open, open the original file in FileMaker 5.5 and make note of the file's original password's capitalization. Then attempt to re-open your converted file with exactly the same capitalization. This is often the explanation when you have a system of converted files that were originally set up in 5.5 with the same password. The original files open in 5.5 without any additional requests for a password, but if the password in one file has different capitalization from the others, after conversion, any references to that file will attempt to open it, but you will be asked for the password. Correcting the capitalization of this file's password will fix this problem.
            • 3. Re: Password issue after upgrade server 5.5 to Pro 11

Bill Clark:

PhilModJunk is absolutely correct (thanks!). For more information on this subject, I recommend taking a look at Knowledge Base Article #750 at:  http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/750

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.