5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 9:20 AM by philmodjunk

Password issue on FMP 12 Pro database

LarryDarnell

Title

Password issue on FMP 12 Pro database

We created a complex database that never had a password. Now it asks for a password and we did not set one at all. Kind of critical that we gain access to this. Tried Admin default account and a few other ideas. No idea how to access it now. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Password issue on FMP 12 Pro database
          philmodjunk

Do you have a back up copy that can be opened?

By "tried admin default acount", do you mean you entered admin as the account name and left the password box empty?

That usually opens a file that suddently exhibits this behavior as FileMaker Files can't just suddently assign themselves an account and password, but it's fairly easy to change settings in File Options by clearing an option that normally enters Admin with no password automatically in non password protected files.

Is this a Mac or Windows system?

• 2. Re: Password issue on FMP 12 Pro database
            LarryDarnell

We did not have a backup copy of this as it was still in the development phase. I am using a Mac system. Yes, I tried the Admin and blank password and that did not work. I can open a veriety of other databases with no issues just not this one.

• 3. Re: Password issue on FMP 12 Pro database
              philmodjunk

We did not have a backup copy of this as it was still in the development phase.

This is cold comfort in your situation, but making frequent backups is a critical part of the development process. If for no other reason, it can protect you from "developer remorse" when you make a major change to your database design and then discover that it won't work and then realize you can't easily go back to the previous design as FileMaker's auto-save feature has saved your new design--overwriting the old.

Here's a thread you may find useful for future development: Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

I don't own a mac system, but I've learned here in the forum that there's a feature known as a "keychain" that stores passwords so you can open files such as a password protected FileMaker file without having to enter a password. I have to wonder if maybe a password was defined at some point in the past and then a change to the Keychain settings is now resulting in the password dialog when you did not get one before.

• 4. Re: Password issue on FMP 12 Pro database
                LarryDarnell

Thanks, we already have developer's remorse. Lesson learned. I checked the keychain out before trying the forums. I guess there is no way to gain access to it. That is what a password is for. Security is great in most cases. In this instance, it is working against us.

Thanks for the tips though.

• 5. Re: Password issue on FMP 12 Pro database
                  philmodjunk

For past versions, I've heard mention of a third party utility that can force open a password protected file. I've never used one and don't know if one for FileMaker 12 has been produced, but you might do a bit of web searching and see if they can help you out any.