1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2014 6:41 AM by philmodjunk

Password Management and User Access for windows 7 and up

JohnDee

Title

Password Management and User Access for windows 7 and up

I 'd like to automate a bit the way my windows user access the db.

First of all I d like to get rid of the annoying "feature" of windows using by default the Windows's user name in the user field in filemaker. It creates confusion to no avail because my users have to delete and re-enter.

In addition I 'd love to hear what others have done, and I am in particular looking for some sort of keychain type password manager for windows. Anything on the horizon? I ve searched hi and lo to no avail, so far. 

• 1. Re: Password Management and User Access for windows 7 and up
          philmodjunk

One method that I have figured out is to use FileOptions to auto-enter an account name and password with an extremely limited access privilege set--one that allows the user to do virtually nothing with the open file. The same file options, however, then run a script set to "run with full access privileges" that runs a script using the re-login in script to re-open the login dialog, but now the account name box is empty instead of filled with the preferences specified user name.

Don't know of any such "keychain" utility for Windows, but hosted databases can be set up with external server authentication and you can take a single FileMaker file, put it on the user's desktop and set it to open a set of other files all with the same account name and password such that the user is never asked to enter and account name and password.