7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 2:13 PM by philmodjunk

password recovery

JamesHickey

Title

password recovery

I use FM13 Pro on a Mac.  one of my files I "somehow" put an account name and password and it's been a couple weeks since I used this file and for the life of me I can't remember the account name and password I gave it.  I tried using the keychain but to no avail.  Any suggestions?  I'll be sick If I lose all the data. HELP

• 1. Re: password recovery
          RickWhitelaw

Try to remember them or get into the same state as when you changed them! Joking of course. There is, as far as I know, no way to recover passwords from a file. Whenever I change an account name or password I save them in a text file just in case I forget. Of course the machine holding these files is account/password protected. Good luck!

• 2. Re: password recovery
            RickWhitelaw

Another thought. It's likely you told Keychain to save the login info after you changed it. Have you searched the Keychain for "FMP"? Finding a keychain item manually from among several hundreds can be daunting.

• 3. Re: password recovery
              philmodjunk

If the file never had an account added by you or another developer, the only account in the file is one with an account name of "admin" and no password specified. Normally, File Options for such a file specifies that this "admin with no password" be entered automatically when the file opens and this keeps you from seeing a password log in dialog when you first open the file. Should that check box for this file option ever get cleared, FileMaker now asks for a password, and you'd need to enter an account name of admin, leave the password box empty and then click OK to enter the file.

So you might be able to get this file open using and account name of "admin" with no password to open your file.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: password recovery
                james_frew

Unless you remember that Admin password you are sunk. Old rule; backup, backup, backup!

• 5. Re: password recovery
                  philmodjunk

If all else fails, there is a tool "out there somewhere" that can insert a new account and password into an existing FileMaker file and thus force it open. I can't really recommend this approach given that it might trash your file if it doesn't do everything correctly, but if all else fails...

• 6. Re: password recovery
                    smith7180

philmodjunk wrote:

If all else fails, there is a tool "out there somewhere" that can insert a new account and password into an existing FileMaker file and thus force it open. I can't really recommend this approach given that it might trash your file if it doesn't do everything correctly, but if all else fails...

Assuming one uses a sufficiently complex passphrase, Encryption at rest protects against this, correct?  Does removing admin access also protect against this?

• 7. Re: password recovery
                      philmodjunk

Yes encryption at rest prevents this. It is my personal opinion that EAR was created in part to make this form of hacking open a file impossible. If you forget the encryption password to a file that is so encrypted, that file is pretty much useless data to you and anyone else so you need to make sure that you keep careful track of them.