3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 7:30 AM by philmodjunk

Paste to Global Field from Multiple Records

jebber6685

Title

Paste to Global Field from Multiple Records

General Overview Description

I want to be able to search for keyword within a file. From the found  set of records, I want to be able to select some of them and then with the push of a Button, I would like the field contents of a specific field in each record be copied and pasted to a Global Field.

Detailed Concept Thought

From the found record set, I would like to "select" some of the found records that have what I want. I would "check" the record by having a special selecting field with a radio box or check box that would be selected within the record. 

I would then create a script that would copy and paste the contents of a specific field in each of the records to the global field using Text Calculation Operators that would put each on their own line within the global field. 

Can anyone give advice on how to create such a script?

Any help here would be greatly  appreciated.
           I have FMPro Advanced 12.0 v4
           OS - Windows Vista on desktop, Windows 7 on laptop

• 1. Re: Paste to Global Field from Multiple Records
          philmodjunk

Is this something that two or more users might need to do at the same time?

Some methods you might use only work if there is only a single user doing this at any given time, but more sophisticated methods can be used that keep each user's "selections" separate from the others.

I'd set up a button on the layout that "selects" the record by appending the text in the field to your global field with a click and removes it if you click it again.

Layout text with conditional formatting can be used to "mark" which records have been so selected. And no copy/pasting would be used which keeps FileMaker from confusing users by blowing away data that they previously copied to the system keyboard. (NEVER have a script copy data to the clipboard unless you have no alternative approach to get what you want of there is an unacceptable "performance hit" to not doing the copy/paste.)

• 2. Re: Paste to Global Field from Multiple Records
            jebber6685

Thank you very much for your response. 

This will be a sigle-user situation only. 

Can you give more details on what you mean by, " I'd set up a button on the layout that "selects" the record by appending the text in the field to your global field with a click and removes it if you click it again."? Can you give an example?

I look forward to your reply. 

• 3. Re: Paste to Global Field from Multiple Records
              philmodjunk

Set Field [ Globals::GlobalField ; List ( Globals::globalField ; YourTable::Field ) ]

will append the data in the field to the end of any text already present in the field.