1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 9:14 AM by zaza

paste without reformat

djmonad

Title

paste without reformat

i cannot copy & paste without style changes

when i copy text

frequently the style is changed

for instance the copied text may change to other font size or may change to superscript to conform to other text in the field 

or may randomly become bold

this is very irritating

how do i copy then pase without reformatting?

• 1. Re: paste without reformat
          philmodjunk

What version of Filemaker are you using and on what operating system?

Have you checked to see if the fonts of the original document are also available in FileMaker? (A font substitution can take place if this is not the case tand that can significantly alter the appearance of your text.)

• 2. Re: paste without reformat
            djmonad

FMP12.0v3

not a font problem

copy and paste problem (keyboad commands) when pasting in a field that already contains some text

the pasted text typically adapts the style of the text right before the paste insert  or sometimes the style of the text from the previous line

the whole paste from the clipboard will become superscript when pasting after a superscript

(even if I use the keyboard plain text command before pasting)

or the 1st character of the paste will adapt the font size of the text right before the paste insert

tx for your help

• 3. Re: paste without reformat
              tomoy

If you're using a Mac, I think cmd-opt-shift-v is the key combo which pastes taking destination style.

• 4. Re: paste without reformat
                djmonad

yes but i want the opposite

i do not want the destination style but i get it anyway with just command-v

• 5. Re: paste without reformat
                  tomoy

Sorry, I didn't get comprehend clearly your issue. I think Copy/Paste is dependent on a number of things.  Operating System, application, bit version (16, 32, 64) of the application... maybe even character set - so to echo the first responder, what's the OS and from what application (including version) are you copying?

thx

• 6. Re: paste without reformat
                    djmonad

FMP12.0v3 copying within app

mac OSX 10.8.3

• 7. Re: paste without reformat
                      tomoy

Interesting. So only copying from one field in FMP and pasting to another field in FMP?  If you don't see it before you copy it, it sounds buggy.

Reading info on text formatting, it seems like formatting is stored as data.  So what you're copying must have the spurious formatting already.  I can only recommend isolating it on a record by record basis by copying out of FMP and pasting to TextEdit to see what you get.  Then do the same to a text-only editor like TextWrangler.  Then do the same copying from the applications and pasting back into FMP.  See what you get.  See if you can cleanup your original data.  

I have one user who religiously copies web text into TextWrangler to strip any formatting out before she pastes data into FMP, just to ensure that her data is clean.

• 8. Re: paste without reformat
                        philmodjunk

I can get the same Behavior in FileMaker 12, Windows XP

I did figure out a work around:

Before pasting, type in a space. Then select Format | Plain Text. Now paste your copied text. If you don't want the space, deleted if after you paste.

If you want, you can add buttons to your layout that do these two things automatically.

It might be interesting to report this in Report an Issue. Perhaps we can get the FileMaker Tech folks to class it as a bug.

• 9. Re: paste without reformat
                          djmonad

tx 

i wrote a script to insert a space with plain style then paste the contents of the clipboard

works Like a charmsmiley

• 10. Re: paste without reformat
                            djmonad

i cannot figure out how to erase the the inserted space within the script

given that there is text after the paste script

help

• 11. Re: paste without reformat
                              philmodjunk

Set Variable [ $Length ; value: Length ( yourTable::YourTextField ) ]
                                   Paste[...
                                   Set Field [YourTable::YourTextField ;
                                                   Left ( YourTable::YourTextField ; $Length ) & Right ( YourTable::YourTextField ; Length ( YourTable::YourTextField ) - $Length - 1 ]

• 12. Re: paste without reformat
                                tomoy

If the contents are simple one word, maybe try substitute(yourfield, " ", "")

If that doesn't work, look at TrimAll and be careful with the Type.

If that doesn't work, you can try a Length function nested inside a Right function.

• 13. Re: paste without reformat
                                  Fred(CH)
                                   Hi there. I submit my script for you : see screenshot. bye. Fred
                                  • 14. Re: paste without reformat
                                    Fred(CH)
                                     Oppps.. little update needed at the end ;-).
                                    1 2 Previous Next