3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2015 3:56 PM by philmodjunk

Pasting in multiple fields from excel documents?

TopherKessler

Title

Pasting in multiple fields from excel documents?

Is it possible to copy an arbitrary row of cells from a spreadsheet, and then paste them into a record to have them go to a sequence of fields in that record? If so, would it also be possible to paste multiple rows copied from a spreadsheet and then have Filemaker create a new record for each (perhaps in the Filemaker's list view)? My data is fairly stereotyped in a data table format in excel, so I could use Filemaker's importing features, but I tend to be somewhat visual so I'm curious if there's a quick copy/paste approach to this?

• 1. Re: Pasting in multiple fields from excel documents?
          SteveMartino

There isn't something 'Quick'....initially.  But you can import the sheet to a table that parsed all the data out correctly.  IF the spreadsheet stays the same, you only have to set it up once with a script, and attach it to a button.

If the rows are arbitrary (?), I would create a sheet on the SS to paste them into, or auto enter thru a calculation, and import just that sheet

• 2. Re: Pasting in multiple fields from excel documents?
            fentonjones

It also possible to Import only specific rows from Excel, if you "name" them (in Excel) as a "group". That "name" will then show up as an option, in the FileMaker Import. That method is needed if the Excel is different pieces in it, i.e., not really a database.

You could also do your copy/paste, if you pasted into a (large) text field (could be a global), then parsed it out. Or you could paste it in, then Export it out (as tab-separated text). It does save the tabs in the text, so it may be a decent Import. That is all if your need to "manual copy/paste".

• 3. Re: Pasting in multiple fields from excel documents?
              philmodjunk

You can also paste such data into a global text field and then use a script--which can be performed by the OnObjectModify trigger to create a new record for each row of pasted data and to parse the pasted row of data into a specified set of fields. This can come fairly close to mimicing the behavior of a spreadsheet but please keep in mind that a FileMaker is NOT a spreadsheet and should not be forced to become one--it's simpler to stick with Excel, Numbers or Google Sheets if that's what you really wanted anyway.