1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 6, 2013 6:40 AM by philmodjunk

Path name and Container fields

DouglasWeiner

Title

Path name and Container fields

I am experienced but really an amateur to Filemaker pro, so please forgive me if my question has some crazy suppositions in it.

I am using FMP9 .

My end goal:  Add to my excel spreadsheet an entry that has the pathname and filename of a quicktime movie so that when I import the CSV file back into FMP9, the resulting file can be clicked on in a record and play in QT.  I am pretty sure that is what a container field is (and I have working ones in this database that were added one by one) but  there seems to be problems.

a) I just want to see what is in the container field by exporting but can not.  The knowledge base says I can export a container field (since FMP7), but when I go to export a record and add the container field to the export, I get an error "Container fields can not be exported."  So I can not see how to format  the container field for my excel file.  Since my FMP db is only 2.8mb, it certainly does not contain the movie itself, which is 2 gigs.

b)  I know little about scripting.

c) I have searched the Knowledge base and see there seems to be some scripting suggestions, but... I am not sure it is really what I need.  Not every record has a Quicktime and my idea was to simply copy and paste my path and filename into the excel spreadsheet.

d) How I got here is that this database of about 400 records was built 5 years ago, but was not maintained.  The database is a simple list with one Unique ID number and a bunch of data associated with it.  Over the years, not only has new data been added incorrectly but some of the data was mis-labled with incorrect Unique ID numbers.   The quickest way to deal with it seemed to be export all records in a CSV table.  Add, remove and move some records around.  So this is why I exported it as a CSV to get an overview, copy and past fields and was planning on reimporting.

Thanks for any advice.

Doug

• 1. Re: Path name and Container fields
          philmodjunk

Container field data can be exported. You can use export field contents to export a copy of the inserted file--that may be what you are reading that says that this data can be exported. You can also import/export containers to/from other FileMaker files. But you cannot export/import to/from Excel or text files.

You could, however, set up a calculation field that extracts the file path from the container fields if the file was inserted with the "store a reference" option. The contents of that field can then be exported to Excel. And you can import such text from excel into a text field and then use either a calculation field that returns a container field type or a looping script that re-inserts the images using the imported path information.

You may find this thread on $Path variables and container fields helpful: Exploring the use of a $Path Variable in Scripts