8 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2014 12:50 AM by ahd

PDF in a Container (Error 404)

JustinRuzinok

Title

PDF in a Container (Error 404)

Hello, 

I am having a very interesting problem with FileMaker 13 containers hosted on a Windows IIS box… I am getting an error 404 can not be found. When I look at the path, its not the path to the file, its to the root website… Physical Path: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Streaming\MainDB\__filename____.pdf 

If you use the Insert -> File… It places the PDF in there and you are able to see an icon of the pdf, but not the interactive pdf. Even though in the Inspector ->Data Tab -- Interactive Content (PDF, MP3, etc..) is selected.

Insert File -- then selecting the PDF

inspector showing the Data->Interactive (PDF) Checked

If I use the Insert ->PDF… It gives the following Error:

Error 404 when inserting PDF

Insert -> JPG works and is viewable. 

Insert JPG… Works and is viewable…

Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

Justin

• 1. Re: PDF in a Container (Error 404)
          philmodjunk

An interactive container field is actually a web viewer. You may need to check and see if you have the correct adobe add ins enabled for Internet Explorer.

• 2. Re: PDF in a Container (Error 404)
            JustinRuzinok

PhilModJunk,

I am accessing the FileMaker Database on a Mac. And the PDF works correctly when the DB is local and not hosted. But as soon as I host the DB on this Windows Machine, I get this error. 

I enabled Adobe in IE on the Windows Server and I am still getting this error. 

Adobe is enabled on my mac (Safari).

Same result… 

• 3. Re: PDF in a Container (Error 404)
              philmodjunk

Did you perhaps select the "store a reference" option when inserting the file?

Is this an externally stored container field?

• 4. Re: PDF in a Container (Error 404)
                JustinRuzinok

The item is not stored as a reference.

Insert PDF… Store only a reference (NOT CHECKED)

And the file is Externally stored. 

Container External Open Storage

• 5. Re: PDF in a Container (Error 404)
                  ahd

Finally, after hours of googling, trying and searching, I found this thread. We got exactly the same problem.

We set up a FileMaker Server 13 under Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter x64. Everything works fine, but the container-files won't show up.

If I go into "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Streaming\MainDB" there is a PDF file, but I can't open it - Adobe Reader says wrong path. The folder MainDB is only a link to "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Databases\RC_StreamingCache_FMS\<ID>".

If I go into this database-folder, I can open the PDF file...

Looks to me, that Windows Server 2008 can't handle this MainDB-link correctly..?

Is there any solution to this problem?

• 6. Re: PDF in a Container (Error 404)
                    JustinRuzinok

We had to reinstall FileMaker Server. Now when you go to uninstall…. 

Step 1

Run the Uninstaller. 

Step 2 

Copy your Data/Databases Folder and your Backup Folder from the FileMaker Server Folder. (We placed them on the desktop)

Step 3

Delete the FileMaker Server Folder

Step 4 

Re-install

Step 5

Put the Databases & Backups back into the fresh install of FileMaker Server. 

This fixed our issue. 

We have seen this issue pop up when our IP changes, or if the computer is shut down without turning FileMaker Server off first. Not every time but more than once. 

Thanks!

Justin

• 7. Re: PDF in a Container (Error 404)
                      ahd

Thank You for this tip.

I followed Your steps exactly, but unfortunately the problem remains.

Additionally I tried to install FMS into "C:\FileMaker Server", also this try was unsuccessful...

When I go into "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Streaming\MainDB" and create a new folder or other new file, the new folder/ file is also visible in "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Databases\RC_StreamingCache_FMS\<ID>"

But I never can open a folder or file, which is located in "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Streaming\MainDB".

• 8. Re: PDF in a Container (Error 404)
                        ahd

We made it working now.

After contacting FileMaker Supports, which unfortunately didn't help, we found out, that an existing FM-database moved from Apple MAC to Windows Server is not working with interactive fields.

What we did: Moved the FM-database from MAC to Windows Server. And then in the running FileMaker-database on the Windows Server we deleted the interactive PDF-field and created a new one. Now it works fine. :)

So we think the problem was the creating of the FM-database on MAC and moving it to Windows Server.