5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 8:52 AM by philmodjunk

PDF in container. Data not saved.

AndersAlmgren

Title

PDF in container. Data not saved.

Hi,

I have a data base with different records on one layout.

When I enter a lyout there is a contaienr field with a PDF on each record. When I enter data into the PDF and then go back to the records layout and then go to the record again the data that I entered is not in the PDF.

Is it not possible to enter data into a PDF?

• 1. Re: PDF in container. Data not saved.
          philmodjunk

How did you enter data into the PDF?

How was the PDF inserted into the container field and what storage options were specified?

Are you using FileMaker 12 or an earlier version?

• 2. Re: PDF in container. Data not saved.
            AndersAlmgren

Hi,

I just right click on the container and choose insert PDF.

I think this was working before but now it doesnt. I dont think I changed anything with this container.

See attatched picture

• 3. Re: PDF in container. Data not saved.
              philmodjunk

That inserts a PDF file into a container. It does not "enter data into the PDF". That wording in your original post suggested that you are editing the actual PDF file--which is possible in some circumstances if this is either a PDF form created by another application or the user is adding a signature or comment.

Are you doing that or just inserting a PDF file?

And when you insert the PDF, do you select the "store a reference" check box in the dialog that opens for selecting the PDF to insert?

And while you did not answer the question directly, I can tell from the screen shot and your description that you are using FileMaker 12.

• 4. Re: PDF in container. Data not saved.
                AndersAlmgren

Hi,

Im sorry for missing that part. yes Filemaker 12 Pro.

I am inserting PDF documents wich I recieve from the customer.

I then want to add information to it while working on the task. The problem that is that the information I am entering is not saved in the PDF file. I am not checking that box since I want the PDF files to be enbeded in the Filemaker file.

Should it be possible to enter information into the PDF and for that information to be saved?

/ Anders

Sweden

• 5. Re: PDF in container. Data not saved.
                  philmodjunk

Please describe how your are "adding information" to the PDF. Are you using a container field optimized for interactive use and directly working with the PDF in the container field or are you using export field contents to open a copy of the file?