2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 10:43 AM by philmodjunk

pdf Interactive container field

EricaJackson

Title

pdf Interactive container field

Hello

I am trying to use interactivecontainer fields,  I have the "Interactive Content" checked under "data formatting" in the Inspector, I have adobe reader on the laptop, but what is displayed is just the icon and the file name. I would like to view the pdf as part of a report. I can't get the content to interact.  I have attempted to add a new pdf file to a new record thinking it must not be recognizing files previously entered but it doesn't work either way. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Erica

• 1. Re: pdf Interactive container field
          davidanders

OS (Win Mac) version?  FMP version?

Interactive PDF not working
          Title:  Interactive PDF not working
          Post:  I have a few ineractive container fields wiht PDFs in them.  The scroll bar dow appear but I am not able to click it to interact with the document.  Any ideas as to why?

http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/add_view_data.4.42.html

Home > Using FileMaker Pro > Adding and viewing data > Using data in container fields > Working with PDF files in interactive containers

When you work with PDF files in interactive containers:

•

To insert a PDF file into an interactive container, in Browse mode, choose Insert menu > PDF. (This menu item is unavailable if the container field is not an interactive container.)

•

Windows: Be sure that a web browser plug-in (such as Adobe Reader) is installed on your local computer. If it is not installed, Insert menu > PDF will be unavailable.

•

You can scroll through the pages of the PDF and zoom in and out of the PDF.

•

You can copy, paste, and delete a PDF file in an interactive container; and copy text from the document. For more information, see below.

Note  When a PDF file is selected in an interactive container, some keyboard shortcuts may work differently. For example, you cannot press Ctrl+L (Windows) or Command-L (Mac OS) to switch to Layout mode. You cannot press Ctrl+Shift+D (Windows) or Command-Shift-D (Mac OS) to display the Manage Database dialog box.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10245/~/interactive-content-and-other-enhancements-for-container-fields

To insert an audio/video/pdf file into an interactive container
               In Browse mode click into the container field and either:
                    • Choose Insert menu > "Audio/Video..." or "PDF..." See image 2 below to view menu.
                    • Context click on the container and chose "Insert Audio/Video..." or "Insert PDF..." See image 3 below to view menu.

To insert a different PDF file in an interactive container:
               Select the container containing PDF file, then choose Insert menu > PDF. The new file replaces the previous one.

Working with PDF files
               Keep in mind when working with PDF files in interactive containers:

•           Windows: Be sure that a web browser plug-in (such as Adobe Reader) is installed on your local computer. If it is not installed, Insert menu > PDF will not be available.
          •      
          •           You can scroll through the pages of a PDF and zoom in and out of a PDF.
          •      
          •           You can copy, paste, and delete a PDF file in an interactive container; and copy text from the document. For more information, see below.
          •      
          •           When a PDF file is selected in an interactive container, some keyboard shortcuts may work differently. For example, you cannot press Ctrl+L (Windows) or Command-L (Mac OS) to switch to Layout mode. You cannot press Ctrl+Shift+D (Windows) or Command-Shift-D (Mac OS) to display the Manage Database dialog box.

• 2. Re: pdf Interactive container field
            philmodjunk

How was the file inserted into the container field?

You should use Insert PDF with this field.