2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2011 3:04 PM by davidd

PDF sent as attachment to email arrives blank - Filemaker 11 and Windows 7

davidd

Title

PDF sent as attachment to email arrives blank - Filemaker 11 and Windows 7

We have a script which sends emails with an attached PDF file to about 500 individuals quarterly.  Each person receives a individual email and individual PDF document attached.  However, a number of the PDF files (which are fine at our end) are blank when opened by the recipient.  The PDF documents are created by the script using Filemaker 11 in a network situation with Filemaker 11 Server Advanced as the host. The system is hosted on Windows Server 2008 R2 and users have Windows 7 machines.  The PDF docs do not contain any unusual fonts (ie Arial is the font used)and relatively simple documents (ie minimal graphics). Any ideas?

• 1. Re: PDF sent as attachment to email arrives blank - Filemaker 11 and Windows 7
          philmodjunk

By any chance, could that specific copy of the PDF be the result of a Find pulling up a found set of zero records? I realize you've said that they're "fine on your end" but that's the only thing I can think of. You'd need to either check this very carefully or include code in your script that uses get ( FoundCount ) to check for empty found sets in order to investigate this possibility.

• 2. Re: PDF sent as attachment to email arrives blank - Filemaker 11 and Windows 7
            davidd

Thanks for the reply and I wish it was something like that.  The emails and PDF's are created separately and I have gone through each to check.  I have managed to replicate the issue by sending an email to a webmail account and checking the same email in Outlook. The webmail version was blank and the Outlook version was fine.  This leads me to think it is related to the PDF format or something similar. However, I am not convinced that it is only occuring with those using webmail as I think some of the recipients with blank version are using Outlook.