7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 1:26 PM by PeteC

Percentages for sell price

PeteC

Title

Percentages for sell price

Hi,

Pardon my ignorance but I'm new to FM and still trying to find my way round. Can't work this problem out.

I've created a catalog database with fields such as product part #, description and the cost price from the supplier.

What I'm trying to achieve is a drop down choice of margin percentages for the sell price, such as 15%, 20% etc. The calculated price with the desired margin would appear in a separate field.

I've tried going through the forum but no joy, would appreciate help from the experts.

Thanks in advance

Pete

• 1. Re: Percentages for sell price
          PeteC

Sorry, I should have added I'm running Windows 7 Pro and Filemaker Pro Advanced Version 10.

Thanks

Pete

• 2. Re: Percentages for sell price
            comment_1

Try:

Cost / ( 1 - Margin )

• 3. Re: Percentages for sell price
              PeteC

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry, but I'll need someone to take me through this step by step please.

Regards

Pete

• 4. Re: Percentages for sell price
                braxton

Create fields:

Type

Product                                         Text

GrossMarginPercentage           Number                 Click "Options" to create a value list ie..  15, 20, 25...  all separated by

returns

ProductCost                                 Number

SellingPrice                                 Calculation           ProductCost / (1-GrossMarginPercentage)

GrossMargin                               Calculation          SellingPrice - ProductCost

Then in Layout mode double click on the GrossMarginPercentage field and select drop down menu and display values from your value list.  Then format that field as a percent by going to the Format Menu > Number > Format as decimal > Use Notation Percentage.

You might also do some formatting to limit the decimal values on the selling price.

• 5. Re: Percentages for sell price
                  comment_1

That all seems fine, except that if you enter "15" into a percentage field, it will display as "1500%" - and calculate accordingly (quite correctly, since 15% is actually 0.15).

• 6. Re: Percentages for sell price
                    braxton

Ooooops  yea....  I originally had divide by 100 in there.  Then formatting with a trailing % symbol changed everything.  Make those numbers in the value list .15, .20, .25.  

• 7. Re: Percentages for sell price
                      PeteC

Thanks very much for your help folks, that worked perfectly.

Kind regards

Pete