6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 6:28 AM by RobertSlack

Perform a find in the omitted portion of a previous find

RobertSlack

Title

Perform a find in the omitted portion of a previous find

I wish to select two groups of people from my database, who each have one common field.  I wish to produce two sets of mailing labels.  I complete a find for the first group in that field and then print the labels.  I then go to the omitted group and attempt to complete a find request to get the other group with the common factor, only to find that, included in the find, is the group that I already found earlier and for whom I printed the labels.  

Help!!

• 1. Re: Perform a find in the omitted portion of a previous find
          philmodjunk

Do it this way:

Use Show Omitted Only to bring up the omitted records.

Enter Find Mode

Specify the criteria for the second group

Use constrain found set to reduce the current group of records to just those matching your criteria.

These steps are the same if you do this by hand or in a script.

Ps. If you are printing from the same layout, you can also set up two requests in one find to pull up both groups of records in a single found set.

• 2. Re: Perform a find in the omitted portion of a previous find
            RobertSlack

Thanks Phil

I am unclear on where to find the "constrain found set" command.  

I am using version 5.5.

I haven't used the Script option before, so I am unsure of how to do it there.

Bob

• 3. Re: Perform a find in the omitted portion of a previous find
              philmodjunk

Please let us know when you are using an older version. This is not an option in 5.5.

Do you need all these records in a single group or is there a reason for pulling up two different found sets?

If you can work with a single found set made up of both groups of records, there are ways to perform a single find that produces such a found set of records.

• 4. Re: Perform a find in the omitted portion of a previous find
                RobertSlack

Thanks.  Sorry for not letting you know I was using an older version.  I was contemplating creating two distinct groups, but I would be interested in knowing how

to produce two distinct lists from a single found set.

Basically the story is, we send out a quarterly newsletter to 80 percent of our group.  Of that 80 percent group, 20 percent of them get an extra document in the mailout.

I do the find for the 20 percent group and print the list.  When I then go to the omitted group and try to find those remaining who are entitled to the

newsletter(the rest of the original 80 percent) it includes the first batch I found.  Thanks,

Bob

• 5. Re: Perform a find in the omitted portion of a previous find
                  philmodjunk

You can't, but it's easier to do so I asked if that would work for you.

From what you describe, I don't see why you need to do it this way. Wouldn't it work to perform a find to pull up the found set for the 20 that get the extra document. And then do a completely new find for all of the 80 as the list to get the newsletter?

To do what you want can be done, but in 5.5 you'll need to save a list of the records for the first found set and then perform a find for the second with an omit request that omits those found for the first.

One way is to use Replace field contents to set a value in one field of your first list to 1. Then perform a find for the second set of records and include an omit step to omit those with 1 in that field. (Not something you want two users to do at the same time or you'll have trouble doing this.)

• 6. Re: Perform a find in the omitted portion of a previous find
                    RobertSlack

Thanks for all your effort to help me.  I'll try to work it out.