3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2014 8:23 PM by symbister

Perform a find using a Radio button, Can it be done?

kilbot

Title

Perform a find using a Radio button, Can it be done?

I have a radio button set that uses to different vales, meritorious and Non-meritorious. When I perform a find and click meritorious it returns all the records no matter what value was selected. I tried to make another field and convert the value of the field with the radio buttons to text and then perform a find in that field but still giving me all the records. Do I need to use check boxes instead of radio button? Help me out please, thanks

• 1. Re: Perform a find using a Radio button, Can it be done?
          ninja

Howdy kilbot,

What happens when you search for simply "Non"?

I'm wondering if a find for "meritorious" simply finds both since that text string is in both.

You could script this, though launching it takes some thinking through in your app:

SetVariable [ $find ; Value: YourField]

Enter Find Mode

SetField [ Yourfield ; "==" & $find ]

Perform Find[ ]

the "==" looks for an EXACT match.  I don't know how I would get the "==" into a radio button field manually...

Edit: it would be simpler to simply use a value other than "Non-meritorious".  Then no shenanigans are needed.  Can you think of an equivalent label?

• 2. Re: Perform a find using a Radio button, Can it be done?
            PeteParker

I've encountered a similar problem in FMP12 today. 

I have 3 radio buttons, Yes, No and In Process. Searching for which ones are set works for Yes and In Process, but searching for No gives me the whole list. 

This happens regardless of whether it is from the Find mode, or from a script. 

I changed it to numeric values, 1, 2, 3, and the problem went away. 

What Gives? I smell a bug.

Pete

• 3. Re: Perform a find using a Radio button, Can it be done?
              symbister

this may not help this particular problem, but I do know that if you have two similar value list choices, eg Staff and Non Staff, separating Non and Staff with a period will differentiate them.

In other words, searching for 'Staff' would return both 'Staff' and 'Non Staff' unless you use 'Staff' and Non.Staff'.