6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 10:25 AM by philmodjunk

Perform Find issue in Chinese text field

cfl

Title

Perform Find issue in Chinese text field

Using FMP v12.

Being away from FM and the forum for many years due to many reasons. Recently decided to pick it up again.

The result of Perform Find in Chinese text field will return only the matching beginning characters. The record(s) which contains the find criteria in the middle of the content is not in the found set.

Did I miss something?

I tried a work around by using "patterncount" function. But it is too slow for large database. Is there more efficient method?

C F Lin

• 1. Re: Perform Find issue in Chinese text field
          philmodjunk

Is the text a single string of characters such as finding "ABC" in portABCoirt?

Use *ABC* as your search criteria.

• 2. Re: Perform Find issue in Chinese text field
            cfl

No. There is no alphabet in Chinese. Each Chinese character is a word that has one or moremeaning.

In English text field, the record cound be found in the context of "Each Chinese character is a word that has one or more meaning." in case of "character" as find criteria.

However, in Chinese text field, This recod could only be found if the find criteria is "Each", "Each Chinese", or "Each Chinese character", etc. But not if the find criteria didn't start with "Each", such as "Chinese", or "Chinese character", etc.

• 3. Re: Perform Find issue in Chinese text field
              philmodjunk

No. There is no alphabet in Chinese. Each Chinese character is a word that has one or moremeaning.

That does not change what I am suggesting. I used English language characters to make it easy to set up the example, but it's still a case of matching characters in the field against the characters in the search criteria you specify.

Using the * wildcard before and after the characters entered into the field as search criteria should succeed in finding that word (single character) or phrase (More than one character). It won't, however, find records where the same characters exist but separated by other characters or that have been entered in a different order.

More sophisticated searches using multiple find requests would be necessary if that is what you need.

• 4. Re: Perform Find issue in Chinese text field
                cfl

Thanks, it did work.

Previously I used the *wildcard only before the characters and it failed to find all records. I guessed I had a mind block then.

• 5. Re: Perform Find issue in Chinese text field
                  cfl

This is an extended discussion from my previous post.

First, thank to Phil again for his assistance that pointed me to the wildcard solution.

Nevertheless, the wildcard does not work in Quick Finds. Can someone explain to me the difference between "Quick Find" and regular "Find"?

TIA

C F Lin

• 6. Re: Perform Find issue in Chinese text field
                    philmodjunk

Quick Find uses different code than the older Perform Find so they did not include support for wild card characters in quick find. (Only quotes are supported if you check FileMaker Help). Quick finds search across all the fields that are enabled for quick find within the current layout and these fields can be merge fields. When you perform a standard find, the criteria is specified for a specific field and (except for establishing table context) the current layout has little effect on how the search is performed.