5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 8:33 AM by mwtse

Perform Find[Restore]

Jubin

Title

Perform Find[Restore]

Hi there,

I'm a newbie in File Maker. Could anyone pls tell me what & how is "Perform Find[Restore]" used in File Maker? Thanks in Advance.

• 1. Re: Perform Find[Restore]
          mrvodka

It will display as perform find [ restore] if you specify the find requests as part of the find.

Personally I do not use it most of the time because I like seeing my scripts manually set the fields when I debug as well as being able to set fields dynamically.

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [ FName; "John" ]

Perform Find []

Would be the same as Perform Find [ Restore ], but where you have specified already that FName value be "John".

Does this clear things up?

• 2. Re: Perform Find[Restore]
            Jubin
               Thanks mr_vodka. It was a good example dat u'd mentioned there. It surely clears things up.
            • 3. Re: Perform Find[Restore]
              mwtse

When I use Set Field [ FName; $ID], if $ID contains "1", the find set will include "1", "11", "12" etc. how to specify the complete match option?

• 4. Re: Perform Find[Restore]
                mrvodka

First, I dont know why you would be searching for an ID in a text field.

Second, to find exact matches you will to use "==" as a prefix. "==" & $ID.

• 5. Re: Perform Find[Restore]
                  mwtse

Thanks for your answer, I am unlikely to find out the syntax by myself.

Anyway I've changed the text field into a number field and the problem is gone. But sooner or later the syntax is useful, thank you very much!

When I was doing my programming some twenty years ago, we are very cautious about the use of numbers, as the compiler are free to promote the type into a larger format without notice and that may break the code. So it becomes the second nature that I choose text as the index field type.