1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 1:38 PM by TSGal

performance affects from subsummary reports, FMP10-Advanced/OSX 10.5

StacyMc

Title

performance affects from subsummary reports, FMP10-Advanced/OSX 10.5

I've have a database that has a little less than 100K records total, saved in various fp7 files, living on a new FMP server.

Currently there are reports created by using scripts that perform finds. The found info is displayed in a subsummary layout.

My question is would there be any performance issues if these reports existed as static subsummary reports? Instead of performing finds ever time. The static reports would have a table relationship that refers to a global field, which can be changed (usually using a set value list). I'd likely have 4-5 summary reports living in unseen layouts of commonly used fp7 files. 

Hope this isn't too abstract a question.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: performance affects from subsummary reports, FMP10-Advanced/OSX 10.5
          TSGal

StacyMc:

Thank you for your post.

I don't think you would notice any noticeable performance either way.  If you change the global field value, the records would still need to be found.  Once found, you would need to switch to the respective layout.  Another option is to have 4-5 global fields that are already preset, and each layout is dependent upon each global field.  In essence, the Find/Relationship would occur when the file is opened.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.