3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2009 8:49 AM by TSGal

performance of FMPro 10 vs FM server 10 ?

jond

Title

performance of FMPro 10 vs FM server 10 ?

I have a script that is taking hours to run (FMPro10 / PC/Quad core 2.66 GHz/ 4 gigs Ram XPSP3).  There is a lot of recursive operations in the script and I need it to work much faster.  I have tested the program on a number of computers Mac and PC and the performance is roughly the same.

Is it possible that FM server would run the same script faster than FMPro?

the process appears to be CPU intensive since a RAM drive did not help and the hard drive does not appear to be doing much while the script is running.

When I look at the task manager the process is only using one core while the other 3 are not doing anything.  Is there any way to get FMPro 10 to use all 4 cores?  or would FM server 10 use more than one core when running the same process?

thanks

JonD

• 1. Re: performance of FMPro 10 vs FM server 10 ?
          TSGal

JonD:

Thank you for your post.

There are a lot of factors when using FileMaker Pro.  If you are manipulating/changing data in your database, then the speed of your hard disk can play a role.  However, most of the If you are manipulating data, the speed of the hard disk is important. And yes, FileMaker Pro is CPU intensive.

If you execute a script, FileMaker Pro will reserve one of the "cores" for the script itself, so only one core is used.

I know you said you have "a lot of recursive operations".  Is it possible to put any of this information into a calculation field?  This may help reduce the number of recursive operations, and as a result, reduce the amount of time the script runs.

If you want to give us an idea of what you are doing, perhaps someone can offer a different way of looking at the situation and provide a different solution.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: performance of FMPro 10 vs FM server 10 ?
            jond

Hi TSGal,

The general process was detailed in a message that I posted on 10/25/2008.  That is around page 53 of the forum now.  Basically I need to do a lot of number comparisons in a database and it is taking a long time.  I have tried to script the searches atleast 5 different ways and the searching is always around the same time.  I made an executable file and tested it on a number of different computers with different configurations and the only factor that made the process faster was higher CPU clock frequency.  The size of the data is quite small since it is just a set of numbers.  RAM drives or RAID 0 configurations did not improve the performance.

If you have any ideas on a way that a calculation could help that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

JonD

• 3. Re: performance of FMPro 10 vs FM server 10 ?
              TSGal

JonD:

Thanks for the information about the original post.

Have you tried a relationship into the same file?  This would help narrow down the search times.  You can link the first set of numbers to the first set in the first table occurrence, the first set to the second set in the second table occurrence, the first set to the third set in the second table occurrence, etc.  This seems like it would cut down on the time, because the Find is already set up.

What happens when you try this approach?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.