7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2008 7:33 AM by Orlando

Performing a find based on two fields in any one record being the same?

TomM

Title

Performing a find based on two fields in any one record being the same?

Hi there, I'm new to this so be gentle.

I'm building a database of records which can have multiple versions, which show the changes to any one record over time. For example the first version of a new record is number 1. Each record holds two fields, Version and VersionOf. The first version of any record will have these both set to 1 (i.e. version 1 of 1). Next time a change is made to this record the record is duplicated, the change made and then it is labelled as version 2. At this point the VersionOf field for ALL versions of this record is also incremented. And so on... 

So I have multiple records, each with multiple versions, eg:

Ref: 001, might have versions 1 to 3, of 3.

Ref: 002, might have versions 1 to 5, of 5.

Ref: 003, might have versions 1 to 4, of 4.

HOWEVER, when browsing through them I only wish to display the latest version of each record. So in this example i'd want to display 001v3, 002v5 and 003v4. (I hope I've made that clear).

So I'm trying to build up a script that will be used to perform a find, finding all records where the Version and VersionOf fields are the same, e.g. Version 3 of 3 would be the latest version of Ref 001.

For some reason though I can't see a way of doing this. When trying to perform a find, comparing Version to VersionOf, all I get is an error saying that no records are found, and clicking to edit the find parameters shows that FMP is not treating "=VersionOf" as I hoped it would.

So long story short, I need to perform a find based on two fields in any one record being the same. 

How can I do this? Is it possible?

Thanks!

Tom.