3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 4:42 AM by LaRetta_1

Perforn find question

robbie3000

Title

Perforn find question

Hi

newbie to filemaker and have run into an issue.

I have several tables, what i am trying to do is enter some text into a field in table A and that will then search a field in table B for a single match, and then return the results of some of the data from the record in table B.

Hope that makes sense, as i cant get the perform find in a script to return any results.

Help please.

• 1. Re: Perforn find question
          LaRetta_1

Please describe, from User perspective, what you are trying to accomplish.  We need to understand the context and purpose.  Here are a few ideas to help move you to the correct response.  Please provide answers to these questions:

1) Please provide real table names (using A and B does not provide us with the context). 

2) What do you mean by 'return the results of some of the data from the record in table B'?

3) Are table A and table B related and if so, on what field?

4) Have you considered just displaying table B on table A's layout via a portal?

• 2. Re: Perforn find question
            robbie3000

in response to your answer...

from a user perspective, the user enters a stock code in a field in table input data field called code

the text entered in this field needs to be checked against field barcode in table imported data, only one record exists for each barcode as all unique.

I then want fm to return if it exists or not to table input data.

tables are related on the code field in input data table and barcode field in table imported data.

As each code is entered as a new record it will eventually need to check against imported data table, and retrieve data from there to insert into fields in the input data table as well as pulling data from an oracle external db.

Once all the codes are entered all the completed records in input data table will be exported to a csv file.

this is only at the first testing stage at the moment.

thanks

• 3. Re: Perforn find question
              LaRetta_1

"check against imported data table, and retrieve data from there to insert into fields in the input data table ..."

Since the relationship between Input Data and Imported Data is one-to-one, why are you inserting Imported Data into the Input table?  You can export from a related table directly.

"as well as pulling data from an oracle external db."

I have no idea how this applies.  Do you have the oracle table as ESS in your graph?  If so, is it also related to Input Data as one-to-one relationship?  Since you are very early in your development, it would help if you uploaded your file and provided a link to it here so it could be reviewed.  The base structure is the easiest to mess up and the most critical that it be right.

You have explained what you want to do, and that helps thank you, but I still do not understand your process.  Even your table names tell me nothing.  What are the exact table names?  And what is the overall purpose of this solution?