2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 6:35 AM by EricGossler

Periodical Receipt Management - How would you approach?

EricGossler

Title

Periodical Receipt Management - How would you approach?

I'm in need of a solution for librarians to track receipt of various periodicals throughout the year. Currently, they use printed cards and mark dates as the magazines are received, like so —

The ongoing receipt management is my concerm. Some magazines are daily, some weekly, some monthly, some quarterly, etc. My initial thoughts are to simply have a different document for the frequency of delivery, duplicate the layout of the cards, and make every single date cell a checkbox. Anyone have a better suggestion?

Library_002.jpeg

• 1. Re: Periodical Receipt Management - How would you approach?
          philmodjunk

Do you have access to a barcode scanner? Most periodicals are printed with a barcode these days. With such a scanner, the librarian can simply bring up a layout for the purpose and then scan each periodical with the scanner to log its receipt.

I recommend that you have two tables linked in this relationshihp:

Periodicals::__pkPeriodicalID = ReceptionLog::_fkPeriodicalID

Log the title, frequency etc in fields in Periodicals.

ReceptionLog need only have two fields though more can be added if necessary:

_fkPeriodicalID and DateReceived

DateReceived can auto-enter the current date when a new record is created in ReceptionLog.

Either scanning the barcode like I described or You can use this method:

Pull up an alpabetical list of periodical titles from the Periodicals table with a button next to each title. Clicking a button next to the periodical table can perform this script.

Freeze Window
               Set variable [$PID ; value: Periodicals::__pkPeriodicalID ]
               Go to Layout [ReceptionLog]
               New Record/Request
               Set field [ReceptionLog::_fkPeriodicalId ; $PD]
               Go to Layout [original layout]

On a different layout based on Periodicals, you can use a portal to ReceptionLog to list all the dates for which that Periodical was received.

• 2. Re: Periodical Receipt Management - How would you approach?
            EricGossler

Thank you for your reply Phil. I'll take your suggestion to the people involved in the project.