3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2011 2:22 PM by ClarissaSoong

Permission Denied

ClarissaSoong

Title

Permission Denied

Hi there, 

My entire team just switched from a web hosted version of Filemaker Pro to each of us having it installed on their own computers. 

Unfortunately, we have been having issues where only I, the admin can open up the database. 

Whenever my colleagues try to open up our shared database, it gives a permission denied response regardless of whether or not I am hosting the database or not. 

I currently have the settings set up as follows:

File> Sharing> Network > Sharing is ON, Network access is set to ALL USERS 

File > Security> All users have FULL ACCESS 

Somehow something just isn't working out though and my team is still getting those error messages...am I missing something? 

Let me know if at all possible. Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Permission Denied
          ClarissaSoong

PS- I am working off of Filemaker Pro 11. Thanks! 

• 2. Re: Permission Denied
            philmodjunk

How are you hosting the file?

How are they connecting to it?

Do they get a password dialog from FileMaker when they should not, or...? (Please describe exactly what is happening when they get a "permission denied" response.)

Safest way to share the file without using FileMaker Server is:

1) Open the file with FileMaker Pro installed and running on the same machine where the file is stored

2) Other users then launch FileMaker and use Open Remote... to find and open the hosted file.

Failure to host the file in this manner (or with FileMaker Server), risks damage to your file.

• 3. Re: Permission Denied
              ClarissaSoong

Hi Phil, 

Thanks for your response. 

I realized that the team was trying to open the master file off of our database instead of using the "open remote function" I helped them figure out the open remote function and it looks like we're all good to go now. 

Thanks again!