1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 1:26 AM by Sorbsbuster

permission to create copyrightable FileMaker tutorials

DavidMatson

Title

permission to create copyrightable FileMaker tutorials

I need to see in writing something from FileMaker that gives users permission to create tutorials for how to use FileMaker and post them on sites like youtube. 

I see FileMaker tutorials on YouTube but in my search for the legality of using software visuals of FileMaker I came across posts that advised that these users could be sued by Filemaker for copyright infringement if they did not have permission from FileMaker to make educational video's that feature the FileMaker interface, menus, etc. aka FileMaker software visuals.

I would think such videos would help FileMaker by improving the user experience and promoting the product, and that FileMaker would not have a problem with such video makers monetizing those videos.  However, I want to make sure such permission exists, or if video tutorial makers need special permission from FileMaker to make software tutorials.  Is there a video tutorial maker guidelines PDF?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: permission to create copyrightable FileMaker tutorials
          Sorbsbuster

I want to believe that the answer to your question is "Don't be ridiculous, of course we want to advertise and promote our product as much as possible!  After all, out of the box it does nothing; it is only converted into a revenue-earning product for us when a developer takes that clay and moulds it into something useful that other people want to use!"

If that's not the answer (and the world has too many lawyers keen to complicate everything) then would you not also have to check with Microsoft, in case you showed the Internet Explorer menu bar as you demo Web Access, or Dell, as you flick back to your desktop and show their corporate logo, or Sony as you show your scene-setting opening pan shot across Times Square?

Experience says I'm going to be disappointed.