2 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 11:30 AM by BillBoyd

Phantom Table?

BillBoyd

Title

Phantom Table?

Due to a problem I described in a different post I'm trying to implement something similar to the "Business Productivity Solution - Services Edition".  The "Contacts" item has a lot of fancy logic to try to identify "similars".  (I've put "(etc.)" to avoid typing a lot of similar logic.)

Similar By     Text     Global

Similar Company Key     Calculation (Text)   from Contacts, = Company

Similar Name Key     Calculation (Text)      from Contacts, = Last Name

Similars Count     Calculation (Number)       Unstored, from Contacts, = Count(Similars::Similars Key)

Similars Key     Calculation (Text)              Unstored, from Contacts, = Case(Similar By = "Name" Similar Name Key; (etc.)

Similars MultiKey     Calculation (Text)        Indexed, from Contacts, = Similar Name Key (etc.)

Similars Tab Label      Calculation (Text)     Unstored, from Contacts, - "Related Contacts" (etc.)

The thing I'm having trouble understanding is the reference to "Similars::Similars Key" in the definition of Similars Count.  Similars appears in the "Relationships" diagram for "Contacts".  However, the "Tables" view for "Contacts" reports that there is "1 table defined in this file", that being the "Contacts" table.  When I try to enter that definition of "Similars Count" in the new system, I'm told that "The specified table cannot be found." How is "Similars" defined/managed?  How do I account for the mention of "from Contacts" and the reference to a "Similars" table in the same calculation definition?  I've looked at the window for "Manage Relationships" but it's still not clear to me what to do.  Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Phantom Table?
          philmodjunk

This sounds like the same setup in the FileMaker 11, contact management starter solution.

If so you have multiple occurrences of the same table. Many parts of FileMaker refer to a "table" when they are really referring to a table occurrence--one of the boxes in the manage | database | relationships windows.

You can create multiple occurrences of any given table in order to link a table to itself in a relationship and in order to define more than one relationship between the same two tables.

To learn more about table occurrences, see this tutorial: Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

• 2. Re: Phantom Table?
            BillBoyd

You've identified the situation, a "self-join".  That's additionally confirmed by the entry for that file in the "Tables" tab.  Under "Occurrences in Graph" it mentions Contacts, Similar Company, Similar Name, and Similars.

With the second button under "Tables / Relationships" (the one with the pointer, the table, and the plus sign) I can create another table occurrence.  This adds a second item to "Occurrences in Graph", which is what I want.  It confused me at first that the new table occurrence showed all the fields of the original table, but then I discovered that the control in the upper-right corner toggles between showing (1) just the table name, (2) the table name and the match fields, and (3) the table name and all the fields.