7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2010 5:20 PM by Jade

Phone Number List from Bento?

futurex

Title

Phone Number List from Bento?

Oh no...there has to be a way to get the Phone Number List out of Bento.  This is a serious problem, we have 13,000 records in Bento and most of the phone numbers are in the Phone Number List field.  There has to be some way to export this data.

FutureX

• 1. Re: Phone Number List from Bento?
          philmodjunk

I don't have Bento, but know from posts here int forum that you can import data from Bento directly into FileMaker. Have you tried that option? (In FileMaker, this is the Import Records Tool.)

• 2. Re: Phone Number List from Bento?
            futurex

So far no luck, importing data directly from Bento does not import the List fields.  But it does import the label fields (such as phone 1 label) which does not get exported when you export a csv file.

I've been poking around with SQLite format 3 viewers, the data is there to be had but I don't know enough about SQL to do anything with it.  Seems easy enough for someone experience to just write a little app that pulls the phone numbers out and adds the first name and last name to each record.

FutureX

• 3. Re: Phone Number List from Bento?
              Jade

Hi FutureX,

Although the list fields cannot be exported from Bento, there are equivalent fields (e.g. Home Phone, Work Phone, etc.) that are auto-filled from their respective lists and these can be exported.

• 4. Re: Phone Number List from Bento?
                futurex

That's encouraging but how do I find those auto-filled fields?  I don't see them in the fields list and they don't show up when I'm importing Bento data directly into FMP (via import Bento data source)

• 5. Re: Phone Number List from Bento?
                  Jade

If you are using the Address Book Library in Bento, the additional fields should be listed in the fields list.

If you are using a custom library, the phone list is created automatically when you add a phone field.  When you add a telephone number to the phone field, it is automatically copied to the phone list but not vise-versa.  If you have used the list field to populate the telephone numbers in a custom library instead of the phone field, Bento cannot export them.

• 6. Re: Phone Number List from Bento?
                    futurex

Yeah we were doing the latter, inputing number into the list field.  But the data is stored in the Bento db file I poked around and found the  numbers in there, they're in SQLite Format 3.  Seems easy enough to write a little plug-in to get the data out as it's a little ridiculous to have data that can't be searched on or exported or anything.  

Sorry for the rant, I do appreciate the help!  Boo on Bento for dropping us into a rabbit hole that we can't get out of!

• 7. Re: Phone Number List from Bento?
                      Jade

Yes, often Bento seems like a write-only-database.  There have been many posts in the Bento forum on this very issue.  Several months ago, someone else used SQLite to access the db directly and posted on the Bento forum but I cannot find it now.