8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 1:52 PM by philmodjunk

Photo in a container or webpage viewer

PeterMontague

Title

Photo in a container or webpage viewer

I would like to be able to display the photos that I have of my inventory. They are stored in a folder on dropbox and they are also stored on a server for customers to view them on the internet.

What is the best way to view the photos when I am looking at my database. I tried using containers. But I couldn't get it to work.

I can use webpage viewers but the problem here is that if the photo is large I can only see the top left hand corner of the image.

What should I do?

• 1. Re: Photo in a container or webpage viewer
          philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using?

Are you publishing your database to the web? If so, with what method? Instant Web Publishing or some form of Custom Web Publishing?

Container fields should work for you if properly set up, but the version of FileMaker that you are using can make a key difference. WHere/How to store your files in container fields is documented in the Instant Web Publishing Guide found under Product Documentation in the help menu.

• 2. Re: Photo in a container or webpage viewer
            PeterMontague

I don't want to use this for IWP. I am using FM Pro 11.

I just want to be able to use the container field to make the picture shrink to fit in it. I want to have just a reference to the picture where it is stored on the web so that all of my devices are able to download the picture.

• 3. Re: Photo in a container or webpage viewer
              PeterMontague

Is it possible to use references to photos to store them in container fields in Filemaker Pro 11? I would also like to be able to use this for IWP.

• 4. Re: Photo in a container or webpage viewer
                philmodjunk

Click the container field while in layout mode then click the data tab in the inspector and scroll to the bottom of the tab. There'll you'll find formatting options that allow you to "reduce or enlarge" the image to fit the container field.

Store a Reference works in FileMaker 11 and it will work with IWP IF you store the photos inside the proper folder so that the web engine can find them. See the Instant Web Publishing Guide that you can open from the help menu for details on this.

You may want to set up a system where you insert a file into a container and then use a script that exports the inserted file to the correct folder and then re-inserts the file from the new location with the "store a reference" option selected.

• 5. Re: Photo in a container or webpage viewer
                  PeterMontague

My references are stored on a web server. So a reference would be something like: www.draiochtweb.com/bookimages/1.main.jpg

Unfortunately the address is just sitting in the container field. But it isn't looking up the address for me.

• 6. Re: Photo in a container or webpage viewer
                    philmodjunk

Quoting from the IWP Guide:

"referenced container objects must be stored in the Web folder, in the FileMaker Pro folder."

• 7. Re: Photo in a container or webpage viewer
                      PeterMontague

I was reading the Instant Web Publsihing Guide which you mentioned above.

You may want to set up a system where you insert a file into a container and then use a script that exports the inserted file to the correct folder and then re-inserts the file from the new location with the "store a reference" option selected

This is the system which I want to set up. I want to download the image from a web page and then get a plug-in to save it in the format in which I need it. From what I gather I won't be able to this on IWP. Is that right?

My database is hosted. So I presume I would have to save the files in the web folder on the hosting company's server. Am I right?

• 8. Re: Photo in a container or webpage viewer
                        philmodjunk

The method that I described there would be for using a FileMaker Client of your database to add files to containers to make them viewable by your IWP clients.

You cannot modify container fields via the web browser interface used with IWP. But there is a third party tool that does enable this, If I remember the details correctly. Do a web search for "SuperContainer" and see what you find out.