3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2009 9:29 AM by wyldroz

Photos in a grid layout

wyldroz

Title

Photos in a grid layout

FM 8.5

Mac OS X 

I'm creating a photo library and would like to have a layout in a grid format with a different record in each cell of the grid. Can some help me create this layout?

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Photos in a grid layout
          raybaudi

Hi

this can be done using portals of one row ( as cell ).

You can create a self-relationship with the cartesian operator ( x ) and put on the layout many portals of one row.

Note that this solution isn't so good because it is limited by the layout phisical space.

Even using a tab control do not let show more than a limited number of photos

• 2. Re: Photos in a grid layout
            FentonJones

I would want a contact sheet which displayed the found set. One way of doing this is to use a script or Custom Function to gather the IDs of the found set into a field for the left side of a regular relationship (equals operator), then using the "portals of one row each" technique. Another somewhat similar technique (by Genx), but using a repeating field, can be found here:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/184840/post/241858

This method does not require a script or Custom Function. It is kind of a minimal example. You have to go to the 1st layout and do a Find in the photoID field to produce a found set (as there are no other searchable fields).

I don't know how it compares in raw speed to the portals method. I guess the whole idea is that you want to Find a reasonable subset of records. But you could have a lot of thumbnails on one screen.

• 3. Re: Photos in a grid layout
              wyldroz
                 This is perfect! Thanks!!