7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2013 11:01 AM by philmodjunk

Pick a clients name and automatically fill clients information

KristalManning

Title

Pick a clients name and automatically fill clients information

Please help!

I'm new to filemaker and setting up databases. I work for a non-profit and am trying to set up a simple database to track our volunteers information and hours. What I have set up is a layout with Volunteer Information (basic info - name, address, phone number, organization involved with...) and then a layout with Volunteer time (to enter the hours they work each day).

When I'm entering in the time I would like to be able to pick the volunteers name from my Volunteer Info layout and it automatically fill the organization/church they are a part of (which has already been entered into the Volunteer Info layout). Please let me know if this is possible and how I go about creating this. 

• 1. Re: Pick a clients name and automatically fill clients information
          philmodjunk

First, you'll need a relationship between your two tables. The match fields for this should be an ID field in volunteers that auto-enters either a serial number or uses the Get ( UUID ) function (fileMaker 12) that matches to a number (serial) or text ( Get (UUID) ) field in your "Hours" table. Then you need a drop down list or pop up menu of volunteers where the first field of the value list is this ID field and the second field is the volunteer's name.

This can then result in the data from your Volunteer table either being copied or linked to your current Hours table.

See this thread for more on both options: Auto Fill

• 2. Re: Pick a clients name and automatically fill clients information
            KristalManning

Sorry I'm just getting back to this...I have added the contactID and when I go to enter the volunteers time I have a drop down that pulls a number and then a name but when I select it it only places the number in the field not the name. How do I get it to show the name? I also need it to pull the organization in when I pick the name. I've not been able to get this to work either. 

• 3. Re: Pick a clients name and automatically fill clients information
              philmodjunk

Option 1:

Change the field format from drop down list to pop up menu. If you set the value list to only display values from the second (name) field, then you will see the volunteer's name in popup menu field.

Option 2:

Take the name field from your related table of volunteers and add it to your layout to display the name. If you give that field an Opaque fill color, use field behavior settings to deny access to the field when in browse mode and place it on top of the drop down list field, you can click or tab into the drop down list field and the list will appear, but when you select a volunteer, the list will disappear back behind the name field, which now displays the name of the selected volunteer.

• 4. Re: Pick a clients name and automatically fill clients information
                KristalManning

Great! I am having one problem. I think I've missed setting something up...when I pick the volunteers name it doesn't prefill the organziation. It goes down and does a pop up and list all of the organziations. What have I not connected correctly for this field to prefill? 

• 5. Re: Pick a clients name and automatically fill clients information
                  philmodjunk

If the organization comes from the volunteer field, the relationship established by selecting the volunteer should enable your system to either dynamically link or to copy the orginization name from a field in the volunteer table. These are the two options spelled out in the thread I suggested in my very first response to this thread.

Which method are you trying to implement here?

• 6. Re: Pick a clients name and automatically fill clients information
                    KristalManning

I chose option 2 and have it set up with the looked up value option but it's not copying over. When I click the name it doesn't automatically fill in the organziation. I have to tab to the organization and then i get a pop up menu to pick one from a list.

• 7. Re: Pick a clients name and automatically fill clients information
                      philmodjunk

Better check that field. The pop up describes a field format that you have set on the field. I don't think it's keeping the organization name from appearing, but it should not be needed. You can use the inspector to remove that value list formatting.

Make sure that this field's auto-enter options are correctly set up to copy the value from the corresponding field in Volunteers.

Keep in mind that changing auto-enter settings on such a field do not affect what data appears in any existing records--only what appears in a new record or when you select or enter a different volunteer ID in the volunteer ID field. You may need to click in the ID field on your layout and use Relook up to relookup data from Volunteers for all your existing records.