4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 1:03 AM by support@scs.be

picture sizing

joedunn

Title

picture sizing

Hi Everyone,

I'm working out some kinks in my new filemaker system and I could use a little help with image sizes in container fields.  Here's the back story:

I inventoried about 2500 records with Bento.

We decided to get filemaker pro to track our inventory. 

I imported all of the records into filemaker.  Since filemaker won't import photos from Bento, I manually dragged and dropped all 2500 photos into container fields. (very time consuming)

Working with Filemaker Pro in our office, over the LAN, the performance is fine.  Working with filemaker go remotely though is very slow.  Slow but usable via wifi.  Too slow via 3G.

From what I've read, it seems that the size of the picture files may be what is making the database slow down so much when connected remotely.  

I did a batch resize of all of my images.  I did not change the filenames.  I replaced the Picture folder in the database with the new smaller sized Picture folder I created.  Now filemaker has an error message in each container field that says : <Tampered: "filename">  

My question is, how do I resize all of the existing pictures and have them show up in my container fields?  How does Filemaker know which picture goes with which records?  I don't see anything in the filenames that connects each image to a particular record.  Any help is appreciated.  

Thank you,

Joe

• 1. Re: picture sizing
          philmodjunk

Would I be correct that you are using FileMaker 12 and that you specified external storage for your container field?

That's the only way I know that you can get the <tampered> message--a security feature intended to let you know when someone accessed/modified the externally stored files.

If you did not use external storage and stored the files with the "store by reference" option, you would not encounter this issue.

Do you have a back up of the folder with the image files so that you can restore it and thus get rid of the <tampered> message? If so, there's a work around we can use (keep the resized copies, as we can still use them).

IF not, try using Export Field Contents to export one of the images even though it says <tampered>. Can you export a copy of the image file? (If so, we are still in business for the fix.)

The fix would be to use a looping script with export field contents to export copies of all your image files to a folder. Each time a file is exported, the script re-inserts the file into a container field with store a reference enabled. Then you can swap out the original copies for the resized copies. Finally, you can then run a second script that copies the files from the "store a reference" container to the external storage container field to move the modified copies back into the external storage folder.

• 2. Re: picture sizing
            philmodjunk

Ps. all is not lost if you don't have the original file set on backup and can't export now that you get "tampered" showing in the field.

• 3. Re: picture sizing
              PierrejrMercier

I dont want to pop up old post for nothing but this morning I had the same problem as above and I was very disappointed not to find an easy solution however I managed to solve it with a very simple twist:

Change in Container field storage tab setting from "open storage" to "secure storage" that reinitialized and refreshed every picture of the container and then I switched it back from "secure storage" to "open storage" and kept working business as usual.

I hope this can help someone else in the future :)

and by the way you cannot export image content when its tagged "tampered"

• 4. Re: picture sizing
                support@scs.be

Dear Pierre,

Thanks for youre solutions!

This also worked for me.

Regards,

Niels