7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 3:58 PM by philmodjunk

Pictures referenced to images don't show in Mac

kamran

Title

Pictures referenced to images don't show in Mac

I made container to show pictures that are refer to a file in the server and it works in all of our PC computer, we added a Mac to our computers and even though the Mac is connected the image folder and we can see all the images in that folder the reference images don’t show in the container and it shows the images are missing. My question is if anybody know how do I make the images to show in the containers in Mac.

• 1. Re: Pictures referenced to images don't show in Mac
          philmodjunk

The file path stored in the container field is valid for the platform where the file was inserted (mac or windows) but not for the computers from the other platform.

A typical filepath for a file inserted with Insert Picture on a windows system might look like this:

imagewin:/C:/EnclosingFolder/File.png

For a mac, you might see:

imagemac:/volumename/EnclosingFolder/File.png

If you are using FIleMaker 12, you may want to change the storage options to external and not use the store a reference option when inserting an image file.

There are also ways to set up a calculation field that returns a container result type and which successfully computes a file path that is correct for the current user's platform.

• 2. Re: Pictures referenced to images don't show in Mac
            kamran

We are using Filemaker 11 pro

• 3. Re: Pictures referenced to images don't show in Mac
              philmodjunk

In which case you will need to use the calcluation field technique, a web viewer or the third party product known as SuperContainer.

• 4. Re: Pictures referenced to images don't show in Mac
                kamran

Is it easy to make calculation feild?

• 5. Re: Pictures referenced to images don't show in Mac
                  philmodjunk

That would depend on your skills and experience with FileMaker and calculations. It looks simple to me, but I'm very familiar with the text and get functions that can be used to compute a file path that is valid for the current platform--providing that each computer is mapped consistently to the shared directory where the images are stored so that the only difference are those due to the difference in OS.

• 6. Re: Pictures referenced to images don't show in Mac
                    kamran

I don't know how to look for help in this issue. I am ok in programing but I need to know what to look for to start this process.

• 7. Re: Pictures referenced to images don't show in Mac
                      philmodjunk

You never asked for an example.

First, I suggest that you set up a system where you can see the actual text that can be extracted from your container fields. A calculation field with text selected as the result type can specify the name of your container field and then you can place this field next to your container field to see all of the text that can appear in your container field. You can then insert a file while the file is open on a mac system and then insert the same file into a different record while on a windows system to see what text is the same and what is different.

I can give you a generalized example here and note some crucial pit falls, but you'll need to examine the actual filepath data in these container fields to fine tune the example that I am about to post:

Remember my earlier examples:

imagewin:/C:/EnclosingFolder/File.png

imagemac:/volumename/EnclosingFolder/File.png

We can construct a calculation such as this that will display the image from the container field on either mac or windows systems:

Let ( [ Cpath = GetValue ( YourContainerField ; 3 ) ; // must be inserted via insert picture with store a reference specified
                                      common = Right ( Cpath ; Length ( Cpath ) -  Position ( CPath ; "/" ; 2 )  ) ] ;
                                      If ( Get(SystemPlatform) < 0 ; "imagewin:/C:/" ; "imagemac:/volumename/" ) & common
                                  )

Notes:

1.           If any of these functions are unfamiliar, please look them up in FileMaker Help to learn more about them.
                      3.           imagemac: and imagewin must be all lowercase. Imagemac or Imagewin will not work.
                      5.           I don't have a mac to test this on and the way you choose to map/mount the shared directory where the container fields are located will affect what path is inserted when you insert a file from that location. The menu option used and whether "store a reference" is enabled also will affect your results. This example requires Insert Picture with the "store a reference" check box selected. And you will need to compare actual text from your container field to get your version of this calculation exactly correct.
                      7.           Container must be selected from the result type drop down.

You may find this thread of interest in order to learn more.Exploring the use of a $Path Variable in Scripts