7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2011 9:45 AM by philmodjunk

Pie Chart - Giving Wrong Calculations

FKonopatski

Title

Pie Chart - Giving Wrong Calculations

I know I messed up something here because it is only doing what I tell it to, but I am getting additional fields and wrong amounts for my pie chart.  I ony have 4 test records and three fields.  In essence I have a status field for each contact with three options (active, inactive, pending).  I tried to display a pie chart just for an effect which would continually update the amount/percentage.

What I did:

• Created a StatusCountOf and made it a Summary.  I selected Count of and the field (Status) and checked Running Count.
      • I made my Pie chart.  Named it Status Summary under Chart Title.  Under Label Data I put the field Contact Management::Status
      • Under Value Data I put Contact Management::StatysCountOf
      • Use Data Form I put it on Current Found Set and I checked the Show Data Points for Groups of Records When Sorted Box.

The end result is a pie chart with an additional Active field and all the numbers don't correlate to the amount of records for each section.

I would appreicate any help and insight on where I went awry.  Thank you!

• 1. Re: Pie Chart - Giving Wrong Calculations
          philmodjunk

Make sure that your records are sorted by status so that records of the same status are grouped together.

Running Count isn't needed for this chart, so you may want to remove that option to see if it changes the results in the chart if sorting the records correctly doesn't resolve the issue.

Also, place this chart in the body of your layout and the layout should be based on the table where you have defined these fields.

• 2. Re: Pie Chart - Giving Wrong Calculations
            FKonopatski

I took out Running Count and ensured it was in the body of the layout and it is defined to the right table; however, I still get the wrong data displayed.  This time it split the pie chart equally among the records so if there were 4 records then it showed a 25% stake in the pie and when I add another record it made another slice and split it to 20%.  It seems like it is going off the records rather than the status dropdowns.

Any other ideas?

Thank you again!

• 3. Re: Pie Chart - Giving Wrong Calculations
              philmodjunk

How did you sort your data?

Make sure that your records are sorted by status so that records of the same status are grouped together.

• 4. Re: Pie Chart - Giving Wrong Calculations
                FKonopatski

The sort is what I was missing so that worked finally!  Thank you!

One more question:  Say I want to sort by specific data within the field (i.e. I want all IT Staff that are active versus all IT Staff that are pending).  Is there a way that filemaker can sort the data to reach specific results for the charts?

Thank you!

• 5. Re: Pie Chart - Giving Wrong Calculations
                  philmodjunk

About all I can say is "yes". I'd need a more detailed description of what you are trying to do in order to get down to specifics.

• 6. Re: Pie Chart - Giving Wrong Calculations
                    FKonopatski

Sorry about that....

I have two fields (Employee type and status)

The employee type is a drop-down that has Management, IT Staff, Contractors, Admin Assts, etc... and the status is active, pending, and inactive.

I would like the pie chart to show all Management that is active or all the status (active, pending, and inactive) of the management staff so it won't display all employees, but just specific groups depending on the constraints I put on it.

I just don't know how to specifically list the drop-down selections from a field and then display it in correlation to the status to make it a more specific pie chart....

Please let me know if I described it too confusing. :)

• 7. Re: Pie Chart - Giving Wrong Calculations
                      philmodjunk

Ok, I can see two options:

1. Perform a find for the specified Employee type and then your chart you already have designed will only show a chart of those records with that employee type.
                      2. Create a table of related records where you have one record for each type. On this layout, you can set up your chart of the related data and each record will chart a different employee type.