6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2013 11:10 AM by philmodjunk

Pie Chart - Problems creating chart from a related table

aga

Title

Pie Chart - Problems creating chart from a related table

Hello,

Ihave created a in List View that has a Part Defifnition - SubSummary when sorted by: 1.Name and 2.TypeOfTask. In the SubSummary I have a Pie Chart that work well with the sort, showing me the Type By Name. On the Same layout in the Part Defintion - Header I want to place another Pie Chart that will show me (in %) only the TypeOfTask. I know that if I change my sort for the Layout to be only: 1.TypeOfTask, this Pie Chart will display the data correctly. I would like to display both Charts at the same time. I duplicated the table in the Database and related them to eachother by ID. I am unable to "configure" the Pie Chart in the header to show me what i need. Please let me know if oyu have any suggestions. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Pie Chart - Problems creating chart from a related table
          philmodjunk

Please describe in more detail what you need to see in each chart and how you produce the report on this layout. In particular, is it a report based on all records in your table or only some records in the table.

Hopefully, you did not actually duplicate a table here, but instead, duplicated a Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?.

• 2. Re: Pie Chart - Problems creating chart from a related table
            aga

Thank you for such quick response.

The layout is a report based on all record in the table, and yes the duplicate is just another Table Occurrence. Basically I need:
                 - one Pie Chart (in the header) the shows the different types of tasks in %, so I have a TYPE column in the table and I can sort the layout by Type and the Pie Chart works great.  
                 - In the body I am showing all records NAME and TYPE fields and I want to have small pie charts for each Name showing Type in % (just like the one in the Header) but sorted by Name,

so that each small Pie Chart will be per that individual and what TYPE of task that individual has and the amount will be shown on the pie chart on %. I placed the small Pie Charts in the Sub-summary and i have a button to sort by Name and Type (in that Order) and then you can see the small pie charts. By changing the sort on the layout from TYPE to sort by NAME and TYPE, the Big Pie Chart (in the header) will changes since the sort for the layout changed. So that is why I thought I can make use of the Table Occurance to make this happen, and I am unable to do so.

Please let me know if this is a better explanation.

• 3. Re: Pie Chart - Problems creating chart from a related table
              philmodjunk

On your layout, you sort records by Name, then by Type?

What version of Filemaker do you have?

• 4. Re: Pie Chart - Problems creating chart from a related table
                aga

Yes, bu Name and then by Type and the version is FM 12 Pro Advance

• 5. Re: Pie Chart - Problems creating chart from a related table
                  philmodjunk

Assuming that your sub summary located chart is working correctly for you, I can think of two approaches for getting the main chart to work:

Have a script sort your records the way you need for your main chart. Use GetLayoutObjectAttribute in a script to copy the chart image into a container field. Resort your records as needed for your report and use the container field in the top of your report to display the chart.

Use ExecuteSQL() to generate a return separated data series with one number for each sorted group based subtotal. Chart this "delimitted data" to produce your report.

• 6. Re: Pie Chart - Problems creating chart from a related table
                    philmodjunk

Here's a link to an example of a "summary Recap" executeSQL function call that might produce such a return separated list of sub totals: FMP 12 Tip: Summary Recaps (Portal Subtotals)