3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 1:42 PM by edusouza

Playing a sound file

datacapture

Title

Playing a sound file

I am trying to play a sound file using a script trigger.  I need to be able to turn the sound on and off by a script trigger.  So far, I have not been able to accomplish this and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Playing a sound file
          edusouza

Hello, DataCapture;

datacapture wrote:

I am trying to play a sound file using a script trigger.  I need to be able to turn the sound on and off by a script trigger.  So far, I have not been able to accomplish this and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks.

A simple question: are you working on a Mac or Windows Platform? If it is Windows, I won't be able to assist you; however, on a Macintosh, you may use AppleScript to do the job.

If you may, please tell a bit about your OS, and I'll be able to help you further.

Best wishes,

E*** 

• 2. Re: Playing a sound file
            datacapture
               Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows.
            • 3. Re: Playing a sound file
              edusouza

Hello, DataCapture,

datacapture wrote:
              Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows.

My apologies, but my knowledge of FileMaker on the Windows Platform is rather limited.

If the sound file is inside a container field, then all you need to do is to use the "Go To Field" script step (under the navigation section) with the option "Select/Perform" checked. Please do not forget to choose the target field and also check the appropriate box. This is by far the simplest and cheapest way to accomplish what you need.

However, if you need to play a sound file that resides OUTSIDE your database, then I believe you'll have to use an external plugin. 24U is a company that develops some good and useful plugins for FileMaker on both platforms -- Mac and Windows. They have a one for this task -- SimpleSound -- which is rather inexpensive.

I hope I may've been of any assistance.

Regards,

E*