2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2015 6:40 AM by philmodjunk

Please help me about Check Box

Hotkakao

Title

Please help me about Check Box

Hi,

I'm new with Filemaker 13 & now try to design a database for our school.

This database has 2 tables, one is Student & another is Course.

In Table student, there are fields like FirsName, Sex, and a check box set(from table Course).

from it I can see how many course has been taken by this student and it works well.

But when I go to course layout, I also want to know the students has signed for this particular course. Thus I use a portal and try to list all students have signed for this course. But I don't know how to do this, does anyone can help with it?

Thanks you in Advance.

Q01.jpg

• 1. Re: Please help me about Check Box
          raybaudi

You did create ONLY a 1 to Many relationship.
          Change it to a Many to Many, creating a join table between Students and Courses.

• 2. Re: Please help me about Check Box
            philmodjunk

Here's a more detailed description of what raybaudi has recommended:

Students-----<Student_Course>-----Contributors

Students::__pkStudentID = Student_Course::_fkStudentID
            Contributors::__pkCourseID = Student_Course::_fkCourseID

You can place a portal to Student_Course on the Students layout to list and select  Contributors records for each given Students record. Fields from Contributors can be included in the Portal to show additional info about each selected Contributors record and the _fkCourseID field can be set up with a value list for selecting Contributors records by their ID field.

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained