AnsweredAssumed Answered

Please help me create a pie chart from 5 summary fields

Question asked by otto_m on May 30, 2010
Latest reply on May 31, 2010 by otto_m

Title

Please help me create a pie chart from 5 summary fields

Hi all,

I just freshly installed FileMaker 11 on MacOS 10.6.3. I have been using FM for a while, but I am not an expert in database design. Here's my story:

I have used Numbers to collect information about the skill levels of applicants to our school, but Numbers has become painfully slow with 1500+ data sets and charts for 25 different degree programmes. When I learned that FM 11 does charts, I decided to convert my data to a FM database.

I imported a csv file into a new database called "placement_2010". Among others, FileMaker created the following fields:

Name (Text Indexed)

Gender (Text Indexed)

Date of Birth (Date)

Programme (Text Indexed)

Score (Number)

To count the number of applicants at various skill levels, I followed your previous advice and created those fields using the "Score" field as a starting point:

Level1 = Score ≤ 21

Level2 = (Score ≥ 22) - (Score ≥ 43)

Level3 = (Score ≥ 43) - (Score ≥ 85)

Level4 = (Score ≥ 85) - (Score ≥ 153)

Level5 = Score ≥ 153

To break down the skill levels by "Programme", I created the following summary fields:

SumLevel1 = Total of Level1 (running with restart), when sorted by placement_2010::Programme

SumLevel2 = Total of Level2 (running with restart), when sorted by placement_2010::Programme

SumLevel3 = Total of Level3 (running with restart), when sorted by placement_2010::Programme

SumLevel4 = Total of Level4 (running with restart), when sorted by placement_2010::Programme

SumLevel5 = Total of Level5 (running with restart), when sorted by placement_2010::Programme

This works well in a layout consisting of two sub-summary fields with "Programme" as the break field in the lead and the SumLevel fields in the trailing sub-summary. Here's an example:

================================

Programme = BBE

total number of applicants: 145

average score: 100.17

SumLevel1 = 2

SumLevel2 = 9

SumLevel3 = 36

SumLevel4 = 89

SumLevel5 = 9

However, I have found no way to visualize the above values in a pie chart in the same sub-summary field. Whatever I do, FM shows nothing or breaks the pie into 145 wedges. This psychedelic view does not quite meet my requirements.

I also consulted FileMaker Help and the Introduction to Charting to no avail. Can you help me create a usable pie chart from that data?

Thanks,

Otto

Outcomes