3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2009 2:48 PM by philmodjunk

Please Help me find my Filemaker files!

charlie.brush

Title

Please Help me find my Filemaker files!

OK, so one of my clients has 3 Filemaker database files. There is no Filemaker Server installed, so they either open the files in one of two ways...

1. They act as the host of the files and others go to FIle | Open Remote to access the files.

2. They open the files by selecting File and then Open Remote and then select one of the options. 

Now, when people go to File | Open Remote, there are no available files to open. Perhaps there was one PC which had shared files and was turned off, but I am not sure about this yet. I searched a couple computers (Windows XP Pro) registries for the location of the files from their recent history andit did not contain the exact path, so is there another way to find out thae originasl path of the files? I searched the networks shares and could only find old database files. This is what it said in the registry...

Contacts.fp5::*

Media DB6.fp5::*

PR DB6.fp5::*

They are using FM Pro version 6.

Thank you!

Charlie

• 1. Re: Please Help me find my Filemaker files!
          TSGal

charlie.brush:

Thank you for your post.

Is it possible that the person hosting the files has set the Sharing to "Single-user"?  By doing so, other users would not see the file when selecting "Open Remote".

It has been awhile since I used FileMaker Pro 6, but I remember the location of the host file is not included as it is in FileMaker Pro 7 and later.  You'll probably have to continue hunting to see which user has a specific file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Please Help me find my Filemaker files!
            charlie.brush

Thanks for the reply. So, there's no way to find out the path/location of the shared/hosted files? Does the person sharing the files have to have a "Shared" folder setup on their Windows XP machine via regular Windows Sharing, or does FIlemaker completely take care of the sharing?

Thank you,

Charlie

• 3. Re: Please Help me find my Filemaker files!
              philmodjunk

Filemaker handles the sharing completely.

In fact, placing those files in a shared folder and opening them from another computer can be hazardous to them so I would move them out of a shared folder if that's where they turn out to be.